Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that due to my father's sudden passing - I had to fly to my home state to tend to my mother for little over a month.. leaving my 4 month old puppy with my husband who works from 3pm-11pm.

I also made a post about how stressed I am with all that's happening - and the fact that I left my 4 month old pup. Well, I was right. It's turning into a disaster.

I received a text saying that he (hubby) got really upset at our pup because he's beginning to not listen, poop/pee in the house, and he RUBBED HIS NOSE INTO HIS PEE, and he's using the basement as a go-to potty now!! and I have TWO holes on my drywall being chewed!!!!

I want to cry!! He's not on a strict schedule like how i had him, mainly due to hubbys work, he's not being walked or taken out on drives, he's not being cared for as MUCH AS I CARE for. Now THIS. My husband says "he did better as a puppy" WHAT THE EFFING MEAN YOU THINK HE DID BETTER AS A PUPPY HE DID BETTER BECAUSE I WAS THERE AND WAS ON POINT WITH HIS STUFF AND MADE SURE I SET HIM UP FOR SUCCESS. My goodness, he leaves the puppy OUTSIDE in our (fenced) backyard for 30-1hour length and gets mad when he takes him back in and he pees/poops inside. OF COURSE HE WILL - he's too young and gets easily distracted especially being LEFT out there all alone by himself - of course he's gonna forget to do his business. YOU need to go OUT THERE watch him poop/pee and take him in IMMEDIATELY.

Are you kidding me? Rubbed MY puppy's face into his own mess?? ARE YOU FLIPPING. KIDDING. ME?!?!? I had to calm down before I called to tell him what to do - basically back to step one. I made sure I made it clear too but goodness I honestly don't think my husband is a good puppy or dog owner. He's owned dogs all his life dont get me wrong and they've all grown up healthy and happy but in terms of training and "discipline" urgh. no. no no . no no no.

I did not spend time and energy paving the road for my puppys success, only to have it effing RUINED because of a sudden family tragedy where I had to leave.

This is a horrible mess of a rant. I explained THOROUGHLY to my husband the steps of what to do - what he should do and how often. BUT THAT'S ALL I CAN DO. I'M NOT THERE SO IT'S ALL UP TO HIM. He's not neglectful but he's not MINDFUL as I am either. He'd play video games and relax for hours when you can at least spend 2 hours playing with your puppy and walking him on the weekends where you don't have work.

It's such a disaster. Goodness gracious lord please help me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing......................... another example as to why I don't think my husband is a good pet owner -

Our vet gave us heartworm and flea/tick meds. He accidentally put the medication down my puppy's throat.. when it was supposed to be rubbed on his coat - I'm not even sure which medication but that's what he told me. Do you know the panic I had? I was at the probate court when I read this message dealing with my father's estates with my mother.

Seriously? Did he not read the instructions????????????????????????
I'm so tired.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Oh, wow. I'm sorry, I know this is a crappy situation for you to be in.

For the flea/tick meds - did he call a vet? I imagine that's a dangerous thing to do and I'd call someone to make sure your pup is going to be okay (I'm sure you already took care of that though). That's a new one for me, but I guess if he's never done it before...

Now, just take a deep breath. You have a good, stable puppy if I remember correctly. As long as your husband can keep him alive and doesn't, say, beat him endlessly or lock him in a closet for hours on end, your puppy will bounce back. Some of the things he's doing are not ideal, but for a sound puppy like yours, they're not the end of the world, either.

My best suggestion is for you to make the most simplified list you possibly can and give it to your husband. Just a list of the bare minimum he needs to do. I honestly wouldn't make it much more complicated than a list of when your pup needs to eat, how often he needs to go out (stipulate that he must be taken out on lead and walked around, not just let out the door - this will help him eliminate and he's more likely to get exercise this way), and a few toys he can play with, possibly independently, to entertain himself. If he does great with the bare minimum, you can add things like longer walks or playtime or running through any commands he may know. For the time you are away, though, your pup won't suffer from a limited schedule.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this situation, and you're in my prayers. Sometimes life is less than ideal, but I do believe we grow stronger from it, even if it's terribly painful.

((Hugs))

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When he told me about the medicine mix up, it was already delt with. Thank goodness. The vet told him it's fine and that he might get diarrhea for a bit (at most) but that never even happened apparently. You wouldnt believe how stressed I am over it.

I made a list a fruit fly can understand - his response was "okay yeah" and "alright" with me occasionally messaging him to remind him to go take him out.

I feel so bad for my puppy. He's such a good puppy and he is very stable and doesnt cause any trouble that would be completely his fault. Bless him.

Worse case scenario is that I'd probably get hubs to take him to a doggy daycare for the remainder of the time I'm gone. Goodness. We're back to step one. All that work. ohhhh man.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
You'll be able to reteach a lot of behaviours when you get back. it'll be harder on you and it sucks, but you'll be able to do it.

You might want to let your hubby know exactly how upset you are with him and show him how much work this will actually cause for you in the long term. He won't be perfect, but maybe he can stop rubbing the dog's nose in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts