:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
who can tell me there so many different varieties and brands
of dog food in US, but what’s THE REALLY BEST one that you’ll buy for
your dog?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
If we knew-there'd be no discussion -we'd all be feeding it ;)

It depends on your thoughts, what your vet says, and your dog.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Each dog is different and some can handle certain things and others cant :) What are you feeding your dog?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I do agree that many vets endorse science diet or anything else in their facility. Luckily our vet is amazing and likes the holistic approach to feeding lol. The website provided by Kina is the best way to go

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is no perfect food -- every dog has some sort of food sensitivity( even if you don't know it) and so every food will create a different result for every dog. One of my dogs can only eat absolute crap food -- I have tried every holistic/natural brand on the market, but low-quality food is what she does best on (actually I find this for most parvo survivors, as their digestive systems are different than normal dogs). I don't recommend feeding low-quality filler foods, and it took me a long time to finally succumb to feeding it, but it is what works for her and if it ain't broke, don't fix it (I tried to fix it too many times LOL).
I also feed raw though, and in my opinion if I had to choose a food that was best, I would skip over any brand of dog food any day and choose a raw diet. I would do complete prey model raw if I could but I can't afford it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, I have bought 3 kinds of dog food, before I found the food that works with my dog, and that he likes. Sometimes you have to let the dog "decide". You should also look around and do your homework on which food to buy, and what they contain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I go by the label on a dog food. If the minimum protein content is above or close to 30% and minimum fat content is around 18%, it's not a bad food because it will have enough protein for your dog. Also look at the list of ingredients, if any kind of grain are at the top or listed as very first ingredients, you should avoid that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I raised both of my Bassets on regular Iam's brand dry dog food, and after many years of hearing about the benefits of grain free diets, I finally switched brands to Taste of the Wild. It's a meat protein based diet with no fillers, no by-products, and one bag of TOTW only costs $5 more than what I was feeding, and it lasts longer as they don't eat as much because they stay full without the fillers. So in the long run it's actually saving me money, and in just a months time I can already see improvements in my dogs' health. I think that everyone should give TOTW a try.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I raised both of my Bassets on regular Iam's brand dry dog food, and after many years of hearing about the benefits of grain free diets, I finally switched brands to Taste of the Wild. It's a meat protein based diet with no fillers, no by-products, and one bag of TOTW only costs $5 more than what I was feeding, and it lasts longer as they don't eat as much because they stay full without the fillers. So in the long run it's actually saving me money, and in just a months time I can already see improvements in my dogs' health. I think that everyone should give TOTW a try.
One bag same size? where do you shop?! ALL the higher quality food here is about $15-20 more than kirklands, sometimes even for a smaller bag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the TOTW comes in a bag that's maybe 2 pounds smaller than the bag of Iam's that I was previously buying at Wal-Mart. I buy TOTW at my local Tractor Supply Co. store. Just about every town has one, and every TSC store carries the TOTW brand. You can go to this site to check if there's a store in your area:

Tractor Supply Company - Home

Just enter the zip code in the upper right search engine. It's really worth giving a try!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you get Royal Cannin over there? We have our three on this and nothing else. We use the measuring cup and stick to the quantities and it keeps them a healthy weight. All ingredents are human quality no crap and floor scrapings. They make different kibble for different dogs, specificall y for size and breed particular needs.

Some of my clients use BARF which you can make yourself or get premade. It stands for Bones and Raw Food, it is a philosophy of feeding a diet similar to what they believe dogs would eat in the wild

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where can you get a premade BARF diet? I've been hearing about that for years and I've wanted to try it sometime. I'm trying to feed my pups as healthy as I can.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Where can you get a premade BARF diet? I've been hearing about that for years and I've wanted to try it sometime. I'm trying to feed my pups as healthy as I can.

Petco had freezers full of it for a while here...I don't know if it was a promo or permanent....I guess I'll pay better attention when I go there today. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my TOTW at Tractor Supply Co., which just about ever town has one. Go to this link and you should be able to locate a store in your area.

Tractor Supply Company - Home

It's worth the switch!

Peace & Love!
~Elizabeth
Belly rubs & drool from Copper Hound & Zelda Marie

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK.....my bad....when I tried to view this particular post, it did not show any updates since the last reply of my first post on this topic. I really thought I did post about the TSC site, but I couldn't remember if it went through or not, so I reposted it and sure enough, it's now double posted!!! HA! Shows how observant I am! LOL

·
Registered
620 Posts
I switched the boys over to TOTW too a few weeks ago. They're doing ok with it. Seem to be more satisfied than they were with the Blue Buffalo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts