Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's official. Somehow or another, Mitzi's got fleas. The apartment's pest control guy is coming out om Wednesday to spray the place and I'm taking her to the groomer's for a flea bath that morning. I'm also going to spray my furniture (recliner, couch, bed) right before leaving. I'll spray my bedsheets as well, and then wash them right when I get home. That'll take care of everything that I can think of, but I don't want to leave anything to chance. Is there anything else I need to do? Know any special tricks for getting rid of fleas?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You obviously have fleas in your area, so they will continue to invade Mitzi. Its important to keep her medicated with flea meds, so when they do get on her, its the end for them. That is necessary to break the flea breeding cycle, since as long as they have a host, they will continue to breed.

·
Banned
283 Posts
You obviously have fleas in your area, so they will continue to invade Mitzi. Its important to keep her medicated with flea meds, so when they do get on her, its the end for them. That is necessary to break the flea breeding cycle, since as long as they have a host, they will continue to breed.
Agree. We've just put flea drops on ours - back of the neck so he can't get to it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oral meds are fine, unfortunately in our case Samantha had reactions to two of the orals we tried, so we have been back to frontline+ which works and she has no obvious reaction to it. Its just more of a PITA to use than the oral, but for us it is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Depends on what spray you use. I used some, very expensive, but it only needs to be used once, and its good for six months. I only used it one time, and that was years ago, by keeping Samantha current on flea meds, we have never had another infestation.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Flea baths are ineffective, toxic and are great at making dogs itchy. Their use in flea control is outdated and fairly useless. Topical and oral products (most) are much less toxic and more effective AND last for 1-3 months from a single treatment (rather than 5 minutes, which is all a flea bath works).Proper treatment of the indoors can help but is rarely necessary unless you have a massive infestation... but spraying furniture is not going to help at all. Washing bedding is not a bad idea, but routine treatment of fleas indoors should pretty much be limited to treatment of the pet, possibly the carpet and bedding and any flooring that is dark (under items) and/or moist (potted plants possibly). Treatment of the pet with a good product makes your pet a lethal trap for fleas and will continue to kill fleas by acting as a flea magnet for a month at a time... way more effective than the best professional treatment of any indoor situation.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You don't have to use toxic flea shampoos. Pretty much any shampoo will kill fleas. I use Cowboy Magic Rosewater shampoo. Kills any existing fleas and it labeled as a "flea shampoo". Then after they dry I spray with wondercide spray which is non toxic and kills and repels fleas. It can also be used on furniture, beds etc.... There are also yard sprays to use as well. All their products kill fleas and eggs, as well as ticks and repel mosquitoes too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took her for the flea bath and had the apartment sprayed. That helped a lot for a couple days, but now they're back! This is really frustrating. What am I not doing? I even vacuumed after the place was sprayed to get the dead ones out of the carpet, but I can see them crawling around in her fur already.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They can be so frustrating. You may need to treat your environment a couple more times to get them all, and like I said in an earlier post, wondercide has kept them off ours completely, the more I have used it the less I have seen. And I live in the hot humid south. Just a bath alone isn't going to keep them repelled off the dog, but it will kill existing fleas.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I took her for the flea bath and had the apartment sprayed. That helped a lot for a couple days, but now they're back! This is really frustrating. What am I not doing? I even vacuumed after the place was sprayed to get the dead ones out of the carpet, but I can see them crawling around in her fur already.
The eggs are hatching and giving you an entirely new generation of fleas who will lay their own eggs, and so on. Found this on line:

This is an issue that’s unfortunately still overlooked when people try to get rid of fleas in their home. Flea eggs are the main population of a flea infestation, with up to 90% of the fleas being in the flea egg stage. A female flea lays more than 30 eggs per day, so you could be dealing with hundreds of fleas within days and thousands within weeks. Studies show that for every flea you have in your home, there are more than 100 flea eggs. You can stop the flea life cycle by vacuuming floors and carpets daily and preventing the flea eggs from hatching with IGR, also known as Insect Growth Regulator. We will get back to this later in this article.

Flea Eggs - Get Rid of Them Before it?s Too Late

and then read:

How to Kill Fleas in a Home: 13 Steps (with Pictures)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Does your dog go out of your apartment? Does she go outside for walks around the neighborhood, or on trips to the park? If she does the treating your apartment, and giving her a flea bath is like spitting on a house fire to put it out. You can spray all the pesticides you want on your furniture, you can vacuum as much as you want, you can flea bomb the apartment, but your dog is going to pick up fleas outside and bring them into the apartment. You are going to need to put something on her to either kill the fleas when they get on her or to repel them.

Personally I'd go with either a topical like Frontline, Avantix, or Advantage II, or a pill one like Nexgard, for at least a month to break the life cycle of any that may be in my house, then if I wasn't seeing any fleas after that I'd either continue with what i was using or switch to a natural one like the Wondercide that was mentioned. What I wouldn't do is use one that they sell at the grocery store, I've tried most of them and they simply do not work and even worse I had 2 of my dogs have a reaction to one of the ones I tried.

Reactions: McCourt

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
As already said the flea bath only eliminated the ones on her at the time of the bath, does nothing for future infestations. That you have to control by using one of the many flea meds available on the market, on her that are long lasting. There are several oral meds available, nextgard, trifexis, and there are the liquid ones that you directly apply to her back, such as frontline or advantage, that will last a month. That's the only way you are going to beat the flea breeding cycle, as your dog is then lethal to any flea that gets on her.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of my Facebook friends (actually is Mitzi's former owner) recommended I contact the vet and get her some Trifexis pills. She says they'll kill fleas and also protect her from worms, which is something else I need to do before too much longer.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Trifexis is very effective, but in our case, Samantha had a terrible neurological reaction to it, fortunately temporary. She also had reaction to nexgard, but she tolerates frontline, so that is what we use. Its a bit more of a PITA to use than the single oral pill, but frontline does work for us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the "flea shampoos"- I find that it's toxic for pets (it'll kill the fleas but, make your pet sick) and any regular pet shampoos do the trick. The acid in regular pet shampoos are enough to kill the fleas and the water should drown the rest out.

As for sheets- make sure to wash all pet bedding and sheets (as well as your own and even drapes and curtains around the house) in a hot wash cycle and add vinegar. Let it soak for a few hours, then drain and refill with another hot cycle.

Be really thorough with vacuuming too (floors and furniture). I use the Dyson for pets and it's great that I can empty the canister outside and wash the entire bin.

For furniture I did the same thing with the laundry- I used a vinegar spray and don't worry about the smell; it'll go away after it dries.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts