Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So today when i got home, my Westie puppy (about 11 months old) excitedly came to greet me, as usual. But this time, after jumping and barking a little bit, he made a strange wheezing/coughing noise thing. It's kind of hard to explain, but it sounded like a wheezing noise coming from the back of his throat. I also noticed this the other day at night while i was in bed, so it has happened more than once. What could this be? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is he reverse sneezing? The first time my dog did this I was panicked! After checking a couple of youtube videos I figured out he was reverse sneezing and it was harmless.

I hope it's not serious! Sorry I couldn't be any more help then this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Is he overweight?

Could he have caught Kennel Cough? Where's he been lately? Around strange dogs at all? Kennel Cough is common and often gets a bit worse before better.

How are things today?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is he reverse sneezing? The first time my dog did this I was panicked! After checking a couple of youtube videos I figured out he was reverse sneezing and it was harmless.

I hope it's not serious! Sorry I couldn't be any more help then this.
Hmm..i'm not sure. I'll have to check...i hope it isn't anything serious! :) Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is he overweight?

Could he have caught Kennel Cough? Where's he been lately? Around strange dogs at all? Kennel Cough is common and often gets a bit worse before better.

How are things today?
No, he is at a fairly healthy weight for a westie. Although, he is a bit chubby...but nothing unhealthy. And he hasn't been around any strange dogs, just my neighbors two Rat Terriers. Lately we've just been going about our normal routine, nothing special. Sometimes i take him to the dog park, but he hasn't been there recently. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
FWIW, if your neighbor's dogs go anywhere or if the dogs next to them do, etc, they could be passing kennel cough around. The virus essentially causes the larynx, trachea, lungs, etc to become inflamed and irritated, so excited breathing, collars, etc cause them to cough; symptoms are often worse in the evenings and after exercise, and it is more of a high pitch honk than a wheeze.

I would take the dog to the vet, since there are many causes of coughing and wheezing, and breathing issues shouldn't be ignored. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, if your neighbor's dogs go anywhere or if the dogs next to them do, etc, they could be passing kennel cough around. The virus essentially causes the larynx, trachea, lungs, etc to become inflamed and irritated, so excited breathing, collars, etc cause them to cough; symptoms are often worse in the evenings and after exercise, and it is more of a high pitch honk than a wheeze.

I would take the dog to the vet, since there are many causes of coughing and wheezing, and breathing issues shouldn't be ignored. ;)
Thank you so much! Yeah then i guess i'll be taking him to the vet soon! :) Again, thanks so much!!! :D

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It sounds like it could be reverse sneezing. The next time it happens try covering his nose and making him breath out of his mouth. Once he takes a couple breaths let go and see if he does it again. If it is reverse sneezing this will stop it.

Does he have any ocular or nasal discharge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like it could be reverse sneezing. The next time it happens try covering his nose and making him breath out of his mouth. Once he takes a couple breaths let go and see if he does it again. If it is reverse sneezing this will stop it.

Does he have any ocular or nasal discharge?
Okay, thanks! No nasal or ocular discharge, although his right eye has got a little pink and irritated before. We gave him some medicine which made it go away, but sometimes it comes back a little and in a day or two it leaves. Although, right now he doesn't have it. Again, Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's probably reverse sneezing. My Beagle does that, and while it's annoying, it's harmless. So rest assured that if it's reversed sneezing, your dog is in no danger! If it really bothers you, you can put your hand over her nose for several seconds and it generally stops. Don't squeeze her nose shut though, lol!

EDIT: I see this question got answered already, so I'll just back it up-- could be reverse sneezing!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Could also be allergies. My chihuahua reverse sneezes and she has bad allergies to pollens. Running itch eyes. What kind of meds are you giving?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's probably reverse sneezing. My Beagle does that, and while it's annoying, it's harmless. So rest assured that if it's reversed sneezing, your dog is in no danger! If it really bothers you, you can put your hand over her nose for several seconds and it generally stops. Don't squeeze her nose shut though, lol!

EDIT: I see this question got answered already, so I'll just back it up-- could be reverse sneezing!
Thanks so much for all of your help! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could also be allergies. My chihuahua reverse sneezes and she has bad allergies to pollens. Running itch eyes. What kind of meds are you giving?
It's a medicated spray that says it's used for wound and infection care. The brand is Vetericyn. I must admit, it worked nicely. I got it because in the beginning I thought he had some form of Pink Eye, but I was never really sure. I realized shortly after it could have been a reaction to something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts