Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3 Westies and 2 of them bark uncontrollably. We have tried the pressure type wraps with no success. We wonder which would be a better method, either using bark collars or muzzles. We understand that neither of these solutions is ideal but we have to do something or we will be forced to move.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
What is the cause of their barking? Do they mostly bark when you are not home? Or are they barking at what they look outside a front window? What is triggering their barking?

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
using bark collars or muzzles.
We don't advocate using aversives and in any case, a basket muzzle wouldn't prevent a bark and a fabric muzzle should only be used for a few minutes for things like a vet check. Anti bark collars may stop the barking but whatever is causing the barking simply causes a different and usually even more annoying behaviour.

As Susan says, what sets them off?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would agree if you can find the cause and eliminate it then that would be easier than trying to get them to ignore something you dont see/hear.

Good idea is cameras, either security type or web cam type just to see how they behave and if there is something setting them off.Its not unknown for people to deliberatly provoke dogs and then complain...

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
@Bigdog7204 - We don't enough from you in terms of what is causing your pups to bark, but in case it's separation anxiety I thought I'd share this thread with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts