Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, everyone. This is my first post here. We've had many dogs over the years but always knew just what they were. This past year, our GSP, Crispin, finally lost his battle with osteosarcoma. We were so distraught we went out the following day and got Tansy, our SUPPOSED-TO-BE small breed terrier mix.

It's been fun trying to guess her mix of breeds but I'm ready for some outside wisdom. Can anyone give it a go and state what you think she's got?

She's 11 months old right now and between 65 and 70 pounds. When standing, her head is about at my hips and I'm 5'6". She's got a full black mask that goes around her nose and under her chin. Her teeth are BIG AND WHITE! She's got black spots and blotches all over her gums but not her tongue. Her fur is certainly not long but it's not short/short like my previous Great Dane or GSPs. It's also very coarse UNLESS I give her lots of ground brown flax seeds in her homemade food. Then her fur turns very soft. She does NOT have a shiny coat like my GSPs. it's definitely more on the dull or matte side. She's got both a high-pitched voice and a very low, intimidating and guttural grumble. One last thing, she's HIGHLY protective of her family and yard and yet she lives happily with elementary-aged children and a GSP and Rat Terrier. Oh yeah, and she IS territorial about her food.

She's a walking conundrum.

Anybody have a guess? I'll keep our guesses silent to see what you all might come up with first. :)

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Possibly Great Dane. Her face, ears and longer neck look dane-ish to me. Maybe some like Rhodesian Ridgeback too. I'd say she is a mix of more than two breeds. Do you have any pics of her standing?

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm thinking she has a bit of Great Dane as well. Also have to agree with Annageckos, looks like more than 2 breeds, just can't pinpoint anything other than Dane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annageckos, we have only one decent pic so far of her standing! She's a goof so she's either running too quickly to photograph or doing anything other than NOT standing still. :) She's either ON or OFF. She has only two energy levels, really.

Here is the best pic we have of her standing. It's not very telling. It was taken a couple months ago and she was about 4 inches shorter than she is now. As of today, she's 25" at the shoulder.

Thanks! This is fun. So far, both responses agree with our assessment so far.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Where do you live? If it's the American south she might have some cur breed in there, maybe some hound, maybe some Great Dane. Honestly your dog seems like a "could be anything and everything" mix! It'd be fun to see a DNA test on her.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm gonna say Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dane, Shepherd mix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like we haven't been far off-base. We've guessed German Shepherd, Great Dane, Black Mouth Cur, Rhodesian Ridgeback. In fact, we've RENAMED her "breed" as the Great Cur-Ridge Shepherd. :)

Every time I think about getting a DNA test done, I'm then reminded of all the fun it is guessing this all-utility dog's breeds! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beautiful pup!

I've had my pup for 4 years and we still play the guessing game - even after having the DNA test done. You wouldn't believe what they said she is vs. how she looks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful pup!

I've had my pup for 4 years and we still play the guessing game - even after having the DNA test done. You wouldn't believe what they said she is vs. how she looks!
OK, what did they say she is? I'm very curious! :) I see some German Shorthair Pointer in her but that might be because we have had GSPs for the past 13 years! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
:) They said one of her parents is 100% golden retriever (making her 50% gr), 25% Airdale Terrier & 25% English Spaniel. They're all long haired dogs, I really don't understand how she could have ended up with short hair if she was really a mix of those breeds.

I called them to ask how it was possible and they said she had less than 2% staffordshire terrier and that could explain the result. Who knows.. I'm assuming I just got scammed for $60! Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts