Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're back in the forum and I've decided to share with you our progress with nosework.
For those that don't know, Tasha and I have been doing agility for about a year and also do tricks and basic to medium obedience. But from tomorrow on we're starting nosework with a little introduction class.
It's mostly about people search and rescue (basic level) and I must admit that I'm terribly excited. Natasha is quite good at searching for treats at home and, even she's part galgo, uses her nose a lot. I believe she'll enjoy it as much as I will.

¿Any advice for the first class? I'll bring treats, a toy (she doesn't usually care for them, but I'll try anyway) and the basic equipment: leash, head halter just in case, water, a good collar...

Anyway, I just can't wait until tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have no advice, but have fun! I'd love to take a nosework class with Chisum but we need to get his anxiety/reactivity a bit more controlled first. For now, I'll live vicariously through you :)

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I want to do nosework so badly!! You'll have to post pictures and tell me how fun it is!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've had classes yesterday and today, 4 hours each day. We're both exhausted but she's had a blast and I've really enjoyed it. We were only six students and I really liked the teacher. His current work is search and rescue with his two malinois and he made a couple of demonstrations during both days as an example of the different exercices. His dogs are small to be malinois, but I'm impressed at how agile they are.
The first class was half theory and half practice, learning about Search and rescue, orders we would need, different groups and terminology... The practice part was about teaching our dogs to bark on cue, something that we've used a lot today. Tasha caught the idea at the end of the first class and today had no problem barking when I asked her to.
And today we've gone to an exterior mine that was cancelled with no tunnels, just an enormous big stone bowl with a flat base. We've practiced both some tracking with treats (barking at the box that had treats inside) and then hiding in different places and making them look for them and bark when they've found us.
I can't wait for the next class *-*

Edit: I don't have pictures yet, as I was to occupied with Tasha to take pics and I'll have to wait until the other students pass them. Hopefully, soon *-*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.