Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, please can anyone advise? I have a 6 month old french bulldog puppy, got him from breeder around 12 weeks old. I have tried a few different foods with him (royal canin french bulldog puppy, took him off this due to poor nutritional value 46%) (Eden puppy cuisine gave bad gas and we struggled getting hold of it with poor deliveries). (Growling tums both puppy foods first one runny stools, second one runny stools and made him smell of cat pee) i stopped this food after advice from my vet, and put him on chicken and rice for 24 hours to give his digestive system a break. The cat pee smell disappeared and his stools were better. I then slowly introduced wellness core puppy (over a week with the chicken and rice, decreasing the chicken and rice and increasing the wellness) his poos were still sloppy. We are now on just wellness puppy 48 hours just on this food and we have had a rough night with him with bad diarrhea. Im at my wits end. Could it just be early days and stick with it? Hes active, very playful, drinking plenty, full of energy etc. Fully up to date with flea and worming. Any advise most welcome 馃檹

Super Moderator
I've always found that it takes more than 24 hours on bland food to let the gut recover. There are a few things you can try though.

Can you get pumpkin or if not, butternut squash? A small amount added to his food helps firm up stools.

You could try going back onto chicken and rice and keeping him on it for several days, then re-transitioning slowly - but if he was mine, I'd try the pumpkin first.

Or there is Chappie (tinned, original). On paper, it looks like something you wouldn't touch with a barge pole but it is great for upset tummies.

Once you have his stools better, you might want to think about whether to keep him on Wellness Core. It looks good on paper but if it doesn't suit him, that means little. Have you thought about raw? You can get ready prepared frozen raw that you only have to defrost so it isn't as hard or messy as some people fear. The reason I suggest it is that dogs on raw generally have small firm stools as there is almost no nutritional 'waste'.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for that. I could definitely try pumpkin. How much do i give him? Do i give it on top of his food or replace some of it with pumpkin?
We have thought about raw, but i wouldnt know where to start with it. It scares me to be honest 馃槅 i dont have much freezer space either. He was on raw with the breeder but his wind was disgusting lol 馃あ where would be the best place to get it from? I know pets at home do it.

Super Moderator
Try a dessert spoonful first, he is quite a small breed.

Lack of freezer space could be an issue for raw unless you can shop regularly. There are some freeze dried raw foods that might be worth a look but I've never used them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thankyou for your advice. I will try the pumpkin first and see how that goes and give him chance to adapt to his food. Thankyou again.

Registered
could it be an allergy or an intolerance for chicken? Maybe try a different meat based dog food?

I always do chicken and rice for upset tummy, but my vet swears by boiled lean hamburger and rice. Maybe you could try that.

Super Moderator
In the U.K., 'hamburger meat' would be highly seasoned with salt, pepper and possibly preservatives. I think here our equivalent would be minced beef; but I think white meat or fish is more gentle on an irritated tummy.

Registered
In the U.K., 'hamburger meat' would be highly seasoned with salt, pepper and possibly preservatives. I think here our equivalent would be minced beef; but I think white meat or fish is more gentle on an irritated tummy.
Oh, right. Minced beef or just "mince" is the word there.
In the US "hamburger" just means ground beef in this context.

I have always thought that surely chicken is easier on the stomach than beef, and it is what I always do. In fact, I always have some pre cooked and shredded chicken breast in the freezer in case someone gets an upset stomach.

but my vet swears by the ground beef, so it must work for a lot of her clients' dogs. I have never actually tried it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts