Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that Chloe has decided to take her weight gain regiment into her own hands (paws?). When we adopted her she was 20.5 kg but her ribs and backbone are showing a bit too much so her vet recommended that we feed her up a bit.

OH and I admittedly have admittedly hit a few bumps along the way in our attempt to find her food that 1) she will actually eat and 2) won't make her sick. Apparently Chloe has lost patience with us because last Friday she managed to eat a delicious looking flaky puff pastry tart thing topped with berries and just 20 mins ago she got a stick of butter (we *hope* that we got all the foil wrapper out of her mouth, will find out tomorrow).

Just training us to be more diligent when putting food away! :bashself:

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
After the butter y'all should keep a good eye out for pancreatitis. If she seems to be getting sick get her to the vet.

Looks like you need to find a butter pastry flavored dog food and Miss Chloe will be very happy LOL.

Reactions: norakay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Rain, thanks for the heads up. To be honest, I don't think she actually ate too much butter, maybe just a few tablespoons. OH saw her snatch the stick and run off with it and I intercepted her before she could swallow it. OH was able to scoop a bunch of the butter out of her jaws while I tried to pry them open with a dishtowel.

Luckily she comes to work with me, so I can give her frequent toilet breaks tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Was it real butter (a dairy product) or margarine (a plant oil based product)? I'm not sure if it makes any difference ???

I had a dog named Hey You. I lived on the other side of this creek from my dad, and we both had doggy doors and Hey You was an escape artist...she could get around just about any fence barrier there was...

Anyway, one day my dad baked a smoked duck...then left it on the counter to cool while he took a 10 minute round trip to a local 'little store' for milk. He got back and there was no duck on the counter and a broken porcelain baking dish on the floor.

Hey You was in his back yard tearing into that duck...probably burning her mouth in the process. She had a good amount of it ate before he got back. I'm glad my dad knows about gun control...lol...otherwise there would have been more than a dead duck in his back yard.

She looked pregnant by the time I was called over to get her away from the duck and save what was left of it for His dog. That night... I had to kick Hey You out of the house....whew...duck and dog are not a good combo aroma wise.

I ended up buying another duck for my dad, putting it in my smoker and then baking it for him. Otherwise my goose might have been cooked too...he was really looking forward to that duck...lol. [this incident happened after a friend left him a birthday cake on his table, and he came home never even knew about it. Hey You took the cake and the cardboard covered with aluminum platter both out the door. Dad was surprised when the friend called later that night and asked how he enjoyed his cake].

So...don't feel bad about a little stick of butter..lol.

Stormy

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had once forgotten half a package of butter (yes, real butter) on the table (500 g/2 = 250 g). Alva had found it when I was away.

I came home and found a giant yellow womit in the bathroom. It smelled terrible. I cleaned it up and it took some time because it liked to stick to the floor. Yuck... I did not know what it was and thought it was just an unusually huge puddle of stomach fluids (she sometimes gaggles for empty stomach or if eaten grass/swallowed her own hair but the puddles are small, two or three tablespoons). It occurred to me that it was butter when I found the clean-licked wrap and that explained a lot. Luckily, Alva did not get sick, probably because she had thrown up what seemed to be most of it. (And at the time I was not aware that eating a large amount of butter alone could be dangerous.)

·
Registered
547 Posts
My 7 month old puppy usually leaves the trash alone, but from time to time she snatches egg shells and sneaks into a corner to eat them. I know when she does it because I find little bits of egg shell in the carpet! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.