Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a walk-up townhouse type deal, so I made a toilet area on the balcony for Finnegan to use. For now it's a cardboard box with the side cut out with a pee pad in the bottom. Finnegan's pretty small, and I'm not comfortable with letting him wander around on the balcony yet (he could easily slip through the railing), so the box is right up against the door--that way he can step right out into the toilet and not have access to the rest of the balcony. I plan to get a more permanent, plastic "holder" for the pee pads as soon as possible, and to move it further from the door once he gets bigger.

This has been working really well so far. He knows where to go and will head over to the door when he needs to go out, and maybe paw the glass once or twice. Most of the time he goes out, does his business, and comes back in, showing no interest in anything else except perhaps to stand up for a moment and look out at the field below. However, sometimes he will go out for the express purpose of digging and chewing up the pee pad, and he's like... completely frantic about it. He goes crazy at the door, whines, scratches, and when I let him out he immediately begins digging and chewing the pad. When I reach out to stop him, he tries to bite me (not hard, but hard enough to say "don't touch me"). He is in one of those moods today and will not snap out of it--I have spent the past 30 minutes going back and forth with him, but I can't just not let him out in case he actually needs to go. (Edit: he finally pooped. I gave him a big treat.)

Any idea why he's doing this? I thought maybe he's bored but he's been doing it a lot today and I've been playing with him tons, I've given him a puzzle toy with treats inside, and we've had multiple successful training sessions.

I'm looking for a pad holder that clips the edges of the pad down, but I haven't been able to find one that fits the size of pad I have yet. In the meantime, how would you handle this?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Umm, well, Finnegan peed on the floor. I didn't see it happen, just found the puddle. I was pretty shocked because he hasn't had an accident in well over a week. I think he must have sensed my frustration when he was trying to get outside earlier, and that made him not want to ask. I feel pretty horrible. :(

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If i remember correctly hes still wuite young, acidents are bound to happen with puppies so dont worry. Im not really sure why hes doing it, but maybe you could take him out on leash and if he starts to chew interupt him and take him inside. And when he ptties normally give him lots of treats to rienforce the behaviore of going potty normally so it becomes better then chewing the pee pad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.