Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 3 year old female Maltese. I was petting her this morning around the eye/ear/mouth area (she's 3lbs, her head is so small that all of these things are so close together) and felt a small hard-ish bump. Upon inspecting the area, I saw what looks like 2 tiny pustules. One of them had what I initially thought wasn't a tiiiiiny dark hair coming out of it but after a quick google search I've scared myself half to death and think it could be a tick. There are 2 bumps, one just above the other. They're slightly larger than the size of a pinprick and essentially look like 2 little whiteheads. Both are very slightly raised just like a whitehead. The top one has what looks like a tiiiiiny pinprick hole in it. The "dark hair" that I noticed came out just by touching the little spot, no pulling or anything. Just below the spots the skin is a little dry. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
That does look like it could be the site of a tick bite where the tick has either fallen out, or burrowed beneath the skin. Is this dog on flea/tick preventative? Because they usually have to be bitten for the meds to take effect, so what you could be seeing is that scar or skin reaction to the bite. Either way, it's a good idea to see a Vet, because Lyme's disease is a very real possibility.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Echoing vet...

there are too many tick-borne diseases to list, Lyme is just one; Rocky Mt fever, Erlichia, all sorts.

Take her in ASAP, before the lesions vanish. :thumbsup:
- terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts