Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!!

We just got our first puppy, a goldendoodle. He just spent 3 weeks at a board and train bc with it being our first family dog we wanted the dog and us to have a good foundation. We have a dog door and fenced yard at our house. We have been training him to go potty outside and he had been really hit and miss so we really bumped up the rewards and praise when he goes outside. He now will pretty much not have any accidents in the house when he is alone or with my husband but when it is just him and I he both poops and pees in the house in front of me. If I go with him outside he goes to the bathroom no problem. He is pretty attached to me and this is my first puppy so I’m not sure if this is normal or how to break this. Any help is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd say he's tracking along great for house training. I would just advise you take him out in regular intervals, rather than rely on him going out by himself, until he gets a little older and becomes more independent. You don't necessarily have to go all the way out - if he will go outside and do his business while you stand in the doorway and supervise, great. It's completely normal for a puppy to rely on your presence - you are his safety and his comfort! The fact he doesn't have any accidents when alone is a great achievement.

Sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work and make sure not to scold him for any accidents, it's important he doesn't create any negative associations around toilet training.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How old is this puppy? Prior to six months most puppies lack the physical maturity to be fully housebroken. They may understand the concept, but they can't fully implement it. Thus, there is a lot of inconsistency at that stage. With my male puppies the age of successful housebreaking seemed to correspond to when they developed the urge to regularly lift their leg instead of squatting to pee.

Both Goldens and Poodles are very oriented towards their owners. It's totally normal for a cross of those two breeds to be people focused and dislike being separated from you. Plus, any young dog should be wired to be apprehensive about wandering off alone. At his young age I think you are going to have to continue taking him outside and supervise him emptying his tanks. Otherwise he'll be torn between his need to potty and his desire to stay with you. Chances are his attachment to you will win, and you'll end up with a mess on the carpet.

I have mixed feelings about dog doors. I think giving a pup access to a dog door is kind of like giving a teenager his own set of car keys. It's convenient for mom, but not all youngsters can handle the responsibility appropriately. On one hand a dog door gives the dog the a lot more independence and freedom to entertain themselves during the day. My guys love to be able to lie in a sunbeam on the deck and watch what's going on in the yards around us. On the other hand, unlimited access to the yard gives the dog the freedom to entertain himself in problematic ways: digging holes, running along the fence while barking, chewing on the shrubbery. Plus, having a dog door encourages me to be a bit lazier about training the dog. I find I do a lot of my training in the course of other activities. For example, I practice Sit, Heel, and Look At Me while I'm on walks. Being forced to keep a schedule of walks also ensures I'm doing at least a little bit of basic manners training in a variety of environments multiple times a day, which is really helpful with a younger dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts