Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some homework, and Max was laying with me on my bed, and he was kind of drowsing, kind of in and out. Then, with his eyes open, he just started randomly moving his eyes side to side, up and down, with no pattern (as in not right, left, up, down). He was doing it really, really quickly too. It freaked me out, I was afraid he was having a seizure or something. So I called out his name, and he stopped and looked at me. A minute later he did it again. Does anyone have an idea as to what this is?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Is he having any other symptoms?

If he isn't then I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again, like Jagger said it's probably REM sleep.

If he is then it could be any number of things, like stroke, vestibular disease, seizure, etc. and I'd get him to the vet to try and figure out the underlying cause

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I had to guess I would say REM sleep. We do it too but our eyes remain closed. There have been times my dog's eyes were going so bonkers I almost wanted to her up, but she's fine! We all have weird quirks when it comes to sleeping :) If you notice anything like loss of balance, lethargy, loss of appetite etc then I would take your dog to on the vet ASAP. Best of luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it was probably REM, it just concerned me because I've never seen him sleep with his eyes open before. Is it possible for them to start doing that after over a year of not doing so? Or maybe he did do it occasionally and I just didn't see it before. Thanks guys, if I notice any other symptoms I'll take him right to the vet; we're literally within walking distance (though I wouldn't walk him if I were concerned about him) and have been with that vet for about 17 years or so.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I agree with the rem sleep theory. As long as when you call him, he immediately responds and behaves normally, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts