Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took care of someone's weiner dogs for a week. They were happy and playful the entire time. One of the dogs did yelp twice but in my experience with breeds like this they can be startled or just a bit upset and make the same noise. They seemed to be doing great. Anyway I handed them off to their owner (On Sunday night) who is a friend. I mentioned the yelps and she did not seem overly concerned. She said that something could be out of whack and she would take him to see the chiropractor.

Next day (Monday) I hear nothing.

Then the day after that (Tuesday) I get texts that say he was taken to the chiropractor the day prior and now the dog is wobbly on his feet.

The next morning (Wednesday) I get more texts saying that she took the dog to the emergency vet and they want the dog to get an MRI. The dog is now basically paralyzed in the lower half of his body. She says he cannot feel his lower feet.

I used to do a lot of dog sitting and had insurance but never had anything coverd by it. Now I don't dog sit nearly as much. I don't have insurance. I used to have insurance and had a claim but there were so many ways for the insurance company to get out of paying and even if they did it would be a high deductible.

I am not saying the dog did not have anything happen during his stay with me. He might have been picked up improperly or something. I know that nothing like a dog being dropped or anything like that happened. There were no accidents. I am racking my brain trying to think of what might have happened.

Anyway I the woman says she noticed swelling on the dog on her way home from getting her dogs from me. I did not notice anything and he seemed find when I handed him off. I am not saying she is lying. I trust her, I am just telling you all the details.

The issue I have is that I am thinking that perhaps the chiropractor did some damage. I just cannot imagine how I could have the dog in my care and not notice ANYTHING wrong with the dog and then two days later he is paralyzed.

My question is do you think that even if I did have insurance would they even cover it if all this happened after seeing a chiropractor? I am thinking this would be a way our for them and the issue of me having insurance would be a moot point.

He is getting an MRI done today and I will update when I hear more.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry about the dog.

That is the problem with Dachshunds, they suffer from dwarfisim and their back can easily be injured. The dog may have jumped off a couch wrong and injured its self and then future exercise and the chiropracting could have made the injury worsen.
I'm not sure about pet insurance, I'm sorry I can't help you there, but I hope things get better with the dog once the swelling goes down.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I highly doubt the chiropractor did anything to cause this. The dog probably has disc disease that happened to have developed towards the end of the owner's vacation. Once it happens it can progress extremely quickly.

Don't throw the chiro under the bus because you don't want to get blamed. Neither one of you probably had anything to do with it, just weird timing.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I think the owner, knowing that he might have done something to his back, should have taken him to the vet to make sure it was nothing serious, and not to the chiropractor.

With a Dachshund he could have moved wrong, or jumped off something and had a disc slip or bulge. He could have slightly injured himself at your house and then the chiropractor seriously aggravated it with whatever he did. Another thing to take into consideration is that if he did have a slipped disc that happened at your house and she got him home and let him run around, rather then place him on crate rest, he likely made it that much worse there.

I really don't think insurance would cover what happened if you had it since by all accounts when she came and got him he was moving around just fine. For your insurance to cover it I'd think she'd have had to take him to the vets right after getting him back from you.

Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
What Rain said. Vet should have been consulted not a chiropractor. It could be true that this had nothing to do with the chiro's treatment. Nevertheless, I don't understand why someone would not seek veterinary care first. If someone had sudden onset of pain, with no diagnosis, wouldn't the logical thing be to get a medical opinion before seeking treatment that might very well exacerbate a problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What Rain said. Vet should have been consulted not a chiropractor. It could be true that this had nothing to do with the chiro's treatment. Nevertheless, I don't understand why someone would not seek veterinary care first. If someone had sudden onset of pain, with no diagnosis, wouldn't the logical thing be to get a medical opinion before seeking treatment that might very well exacerbate a problem?
You'd be surprised.

Aside from helping colleagues / associates in their stores [tougher neighborhoods] occasionally - my background in security to help pay for my education was in some rough areas, so thugs / druggies "tough guy" acts are pretty much water off a duck's back for me [the sky could be falling, as my friends joke, and I'd just keep on trucking] - my main job is working at a specialized pharmacy. I found early on in my career choice that people can be extremely dumb about their own health decisions... I can only imagine how "intelligent" their decisions about a pet's health is.

It's unfortunate about the dog and the question is, whom is at fault.

The OP - if I am reading this right was a prior dog sitter with insurance whom had a claim [that'd be against them].

Regardless, I find it rather odd that the owner said they noticed a problem [swelling] with the dog upon picking it up and yet decided hey no, no vet let's go get the "spine cracked" [a joke, it's what most say about chiropractors].

The owner - negligence / stupidity / ignorance if the dog was indeed in pain and swelling. Take your pick.

The chiropractor - if the dog did indeed have swelling why didn't the professional question it instead of grabbing the dog and trying whatever the heck he/she did.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Dachshunds are highly susceptible to to spinal injuries. As most people learn in high school health class when a spinal injury is suspected the number one rule is not to move the person. Certainly not take them to have their spine "adjusted". That 'treatment' should have come AFTER the MRI not before it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts