Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a almost two year old lab/great pyrness. Over the last couple of weeks he has lost some weight. We brought this up to his vet before when he was younger and had the same thing happened. She didn't seem concerned. Now it's happening again so I'm just curious if it'd be normal for him to lose weight because of a grow sprut???

Also not sure he is eating the amount he should be. Again vet didn't seem worried about that as this has been an on and off thing with him. After first time tho just after we got him he kept weight on pretty well til last couple weeks.

Otherwise he seems completely healthy. Runs & plays with our other dogs. Big loveable baby.

Just wondered what some owners of large breeds would think. Also if anyone has any suggestions for snacks or something to help put weight on him please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
How much weight loss are you talking about and how much does he eat per day? My dogs fluctuate weight often, so I guess it depends on how much weight he's lost and how quickly too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a lab/pyrness who is a year and a half. She actually looks a lot like yours. She also tends to drop weight when she goes through a growth spurt.. She does not drop a while lot but enough to be noticeable. My GSD mix on the other hand when he goes through growth spurts he looks starved. I try to catch his early when he first starts dropping and increase his food while going through the growth spurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actual weight loss, or just looking thinner? If the latter, that is not only normal, but almost always the case with larger breed dogs as they age through the 3rd-8th month approximately. Sort of like a teenage kid as they go through puberty or a growth spurt.. .they tend to look lanky... but actual weight loss is not as common... they just LOOK like maybe they are skinnier and lighter. Real weight loss is not a huge concern unless its a LOT of weight or it's happening rapidly. You should get some actual weights on your puppy and see it is real or just looks that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts