Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have got my dog trained pretty well with some off the basic commands. I used treats to get him to learn the actions, however he doesnt listen when there is no treat offered. I guess this is the bribery method I have been using. Now I want to start teaching him thses same actions but without a treat. Any sugestions on how to aproach doing this? Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
SO I have got my dog trained pretty well with some off the basic commands. I used treats to get him to learn the actions, however he doesnt listen when there is no treat offered. I guess this is the bribery method I have been using. Now I want to start teaching him thses same actions but without a treat. Any sugestions on how to aproach doing this? Thanks

Tim
The best way I was taught to slowly stop with treats is playing the "push up game" You have your dog sit, no treat but you still have one in hand, then make him do down, sit, then down again and give him a treat (some people have them break from the sit position or down to do the next, you don't want that, you want him to stay in a sit or down position and do the next one from that position)....push it out longer making him do more push ups (these are fast pace people push ups :p) and slowly start having him do it without a treat in your hand.

Goodness I hope this makes sense lol I haven't had my morning coffee!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

Tim
You will probably have to re teach, or do a refresher course first...using rewards...best way to do that is to keep treats stashed around the house and in your pocket...so the treat becomes a reward (surprise) to the dog.

If he wont do it for you AT ALL without a treat...pretend you have one...pretend to eat it, wave it around, etc etc..you may have to actually have one for the first two tries if hes smart... when he does the trick for the pretend treat say your marker word "yes, good," whatever and get a treat from far away...however far you can walk in 2 seconds...make a spectacle about it...this way the dog learns you didn't have a treat on you...or even near you...but he still got to have one.

Make sence?

The best way I was taught to slowly stop with treats is playing the "push up game" You have your dog sit, no treat but you still have one in hand, then make him do down, sit, then down again and give him a treat (some people have them break from the sit position or down to do the next, you don't want that, you want him to stay in a sit or down position and do the next one from that position)....push it out longer making him do more push ups (these are fast pace people push ups :p) and slowly start having him do it without a treat in your hand.

Goodness I hope this makes sense lol I haven't had my morning coffee!

Yep, they call that a chain... multiple behaviors for one reward... This is good advice! :)

personally I never remove tangible rewards completely with som' of my dogs (they just don't care enough about praise for it to work), I just make really really really long chains. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you start out using a food lure, as soon as you can easily lure the dog into position get the food out of your luring hand. Next lure the dog with your hand and reward from your opposite hand. Once you can do this easily, place the food in your pocket. Then place the food around the house (as someone else suggested) so that the rewards are no longer on your person but the dog is still being rewarded.

A few other tips....
  • Make a list of as many non-food rewards as you can think of (rewards can be anything your dog wants or needs)
  • Ask for more behaviors for fewer rewards (get a sit and a down for one reward or a sit, down, sit for one reward)
  • Vary the rewards - sometimes reward with a treat, other times reward with a non-food reward
  • Gradually offer fewer treats replacing them with non-food rewards
  • Take advantage of the many opportunities that arise during your every day activities to have your dog work for all the things he wants

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. I think my dog need some more time learning the commands with treats befor he can learn them without. We went to the off leash park today. (the really busy one) HE did really well but still needs improving on what we are already doing. He is bout 6 months old, dont need to push him to hard. HE is doing really well as is. Really happy with his listening skills. Thanks again.

Tim

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I think my dog need some more time learning the commands with treats befor he can learn them without. We went to the off leash park today. (the really busy one) HE did really well but still needs improving on what we are already doing. He is bout 6 months old, dont need to push him to hard. HE is doing really well as is. Really happy with his listening skills. Thanks again.

Tim
I think this is a good idea :) GL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts