Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I thought it would be great to post about our vacation. It's the first time I've ever traveled with a dog and Kuma is coming with us. We were deciding what would be best for both of us and Kuma when traveling by jet to Anchorage. We had a talk with the airlines and they said that as long as our dog was under 15 lbs, we could take em with us in the cabin, which I prefer.

We're newbies for taking a dog. Anyways, so we went ahead and purchased a collapesable crate? (They had it at the airlines and said it was okay for us to use it and since Kuma is somewhere between 10 to 12 lbs, we thought it would be perfect.)

He has a vet appointment on the first of September and we will be leaving on the 3rd. Our first part will be to head to a local pet store. (I found there was one privately owned and I would much rather prefer that.)

I might end asking you all for some advice too since I will be a newbie traveling with a pet and I will def post pictures.

The main reason we took Kuma with us was because we couldn't find a pet sitter, plus I want another vet's opinion on Kuma's teeth. (He still has horrible breath.) I also want to get his rear leg checked because he still does the hobble on three legs once in a while and if he has that problem, I can't have him as a first time agility pet, but at least I can teach him awesome tricks. ^_^ (I will ask the vet if it is okay, but won't know for sure until we get it checked out.)

So, wish us luck and I'll post pictures of us. (By the way, I have been conditioning him to the carring crate. We have mastered him being in there, unzipped for 15 minutes ad have mastered the bag with being zipped for 20 seconds.) He's a little unsure of being zipped and carried so it's a simple get in, zip, lift up real quickly and back down gently, click and treat.

I just want him comfortable enough to be carried in the bag and not freak out. So, it has been four weeks tomorrow since we started conditioning. I'm sure we could have gotten further if it wasn't for his little, (stink fest) he decided. Maybe he didn't want to do conditioning for a few days. (tee hee hee the little stinker.)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, we ended up taking the very first flight and we were stuck in the jet for almost 1 hour. The whole time kuma was a champ. No problems at all. Even with the 2 hours stuck in the plane.

We've checked into the hotel, I went to get a new style, go to lunch and get kuma's nesseties including poop bags. I found a poop bag dispenser and an extra roll of poop bag so we are set.

The hotel I see had loads of poo in one area. What is wrong with people. Anyways, I'm doing my part although kuma hasn't done anything yet except urinate.

Because we can't run him like normal, I am going to look up any dog parks near us. I am unsure, but I will give it a try. Any tips would be great. I don't know anyone here so I can't have a play date with anyone for kuma. I know if I walk around the park with hi m off leash he'll do his own running.

I'm going to try kuma on over the counter calming pill. I don't like when one car passes us and his tail is tucked and he doesn't want to do his business.

So stay tuned and I'll keep you guys up to date. I do have a few pictures, but my computer won't let me hook up to the internet through the hotels network.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Sounds like a great vacation. I have recently started looking into maybe taking my dogs on vacation (Of course there will not be a flight involved). So much more goes into it when you bring the pups.

Reactions: natenqen

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here is your update so far. It's going to be long, but I will try to break it up.

We made it to our hotel and the next morning, we went shopping for wedding stuff. (One of the reasons we went, the other was our needed vacation) I got a new do, (it's short and have bangs), new under garments and I could not find a bridal shop that tailored to my size here in Anchorage of all places!!! so, I used a long skirt with cowboy boots and white shirt with a white zipped jacket.(My outfit was very country looking. I think if I had the cowboy hat I could probably pass for a genuine cowgirl.)

We were looking at the different dog parks to give Kuma so much needed run.(Which he is used too.) We tried to stay on our regular schedule to ease the traveling on him, but it's hard to do that when you have to drive 3 to 4 hours on the freeway all the way to the wedding, and then drive back.

The wedding started late and dogs weren't allowed on the grounds, so our friend has a mini poodle mix female and we decide to see how they would interact since she had a mobile home instead of being cooped up in the small car. It went great and we left them in the camper. (I offered to check up on them every 15 minutes to make sure everything was going well and then went longer to 3o minutes and then every hour afterwards.) They were doing so good. She was on the bed and he was on the couch like bed? (It's one of those campers that expand.)

Then, the next day we had to travel to Fairbanks which is a good 5 to 6 hour ride by vehicle and Kuma was too terrified of vehicles even when we went way off the road to let him do his buisness. (He would pee, but freak out when he heard a car zoom by.)

We made it to fairbanks late and our room was given away. (They were booked and we had to be there at 5 pm.) I even called them to let them know we were on our way. We made it there and they said they were booked and our room was given away. The nerve of them. I was really wanting to soak in the hot spring. So, we went back to Fairbanks and stayed two days calling to see if they had any rooms. And they said they were booked.

to make it worse, hubby got a bad cold(sinus,coughing, sneezing, sweats the works) I did really hard to keep myself from catching it, but I got it too when we got back to Anchorage.

When we got back, we decided to rest for one day. (Keeping Kuma's schedule back on track which was perfect, because the hotel we took is slightly away from the zooming cars and Kuma can do his busness with no problem.

Yesterday, we went to a walking/biking/dog firendly park, but all the dogs had to be on leash. (I remember there was a dog park, but we walked and didn't find it so we asked other friendly dog people who were there. (These two ladies had beautiful but slightly over weight and looked like never brushed Shelties.) She told us of a great park where dogs can go off leash. I was great let's go there so we went.

It took a while, but we finally found it and this dog park was awesome. It wasn't your typical dog park. It was litterily a park where dogs can roam off leash and they have many different trails you can veer off rather then a fense where dogs are grouped together.

Kuma had a blast. A lot of the dogs we met were just awesome. (We saw a pure bred Rat Terrier and that guy was chuncky compared to Kuma.) Kuma was a little smaller by at least one inch, but chuncky. Compared to that rat in my opinion is Kuma is in good condition. (The lady there said he was so petit... Now I'm wondering if he's too skinny?) She also stated that his neck wasn't as thick as a normal rats and his back side was small... At least my dog has a waist and I didn't see much on their rat terrier.

Anyways, we had made an appointment with a new vet we got confident reviews to have Kuma's teeth looked at as well as his hips looked at. (I want to know if he has hip dysplasia or not or if it's minor or how bad it is.) Maybe it's nothing.

On our way back, we met a lanky legged lab and I was kind of worried because lanky labs usually means they are still in the teenage stage and hasn't filled out yet and she jumped into a play bow and then took off running at full speed and kuma chased her. It was awesome to watch. the lady was suprised as they kept chasing. I loved that Kuma was playing with a dog other then Murgo. They tired themselves out and boy did they dash with speed for the 5 minutes we were talking.

As we made our way back, Kuma started to be unconfident again mainly because of the cars that he suddenly realized were there. A group of people came with three dogs. I didn't get a good look at the dogs because I was trying to comfort Kuma and one of their dogs (i think maybe a red shiba inu?) It was about the same size as Kuma, maybe a little taller and a currly tail.

The owner let their dog pull them to Kuma who clearly didn't want to meet and I'm not sure what happened, but their dog growled and then lunged at Kuma and Kuma of course defended himself and did not engaged, but instead I felt he was telling the other dog to back off. Kuma did not retaliate to attack the dog, but he did defend himself and I praised him for that because I don't want our hard earned work on his counter conditioning to other dogs go down the drain.

Now that we found a park we love, we are going to take Kuma there for his afternoon run(like we do at home about the same time.) Yeah, I was really surprised it was not your typical dog park. I think if most dog parks were like this one, I bet we wouldn't have too much trouble.

I'm sick still, but that's not going to stop me. I can fight a cold no problem.

Pictures will come soon I promise. (I didn't bring my camera when we found the dog park, because I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly first as I didn't want to be distracted at the dog park.)

So, next time I come on, I will post pictures and let you know what the vet says about his hips and hopefully will give us more information on his teeth/mouth.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a great vacation. I have recently started looking into maybe taking my dogs on vacation (Of course there will not be a flight involved). So much more goes into it when you bring the pups.

I didn't want to comment on this until I actually experienced it first hand. I understand Kuma doesn't like zooming cars and refuses to go bathroom and just wants to go back to the car. We litterly would go as far as we can coming back because he held it for a very long time. I felt bad for him, but on our trip to Fairbanks, they had many rest stops and we stopped at everyone and went into the tundra/bush part and still he refused to go.

It is exhausting to go by car with one dog I can't imagine two or more dogs. I'm sure if Kuma wasn't as scared with zooming cars, it would be fun, but it's not my cup of tea. Would we do it again? It depends if we can find a dog sitter or not. (We couldn't find one because it was moose hunting season.)

Next year, we plan to fly to fairbanks and make the two hour drive to the hot springs and also make reservations ahead of time. We are not going to take the driving route again. (The plus side, is they allow dogs so that's awesome.)

I'm going to double post as I got pictures for you all to enjoy.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Kuma gets his own bed for this trip. ^_^ He loves it.

Here is a few pictures of the beautiful mountains here in Anchorage/Fairbanks area. Where I live we don't have mountains so this is a treat for us.

This is the happily married couple we were invited to the wedding. She is in a traditional Albanian outfit, though she did not use this to get married. She had a white wedding dress. Because this wedding wasn't a traditional albanian wedding, she wanted to still incorporate some of the albanian part of her origon so she wore this to greet guests.

Here is a few pictures of the dog park we went to today. This mutt with Kuma is from our home town which was nice to see that our partner rescue in Anchorage is getting these Village dogs a chance. Stupid me I forgot to ask the pups names, but he is 7 months and I thought for sure Kuma would seek her out to harm him, but he didn't. Maybe I need to give Kuma more credit then what I have been giving him.

I was just so excited that one of our puppies that was rescued in our area went to a lovely lady who loves this boy to bits. Lol dont' know what happened here, but it looked like the dog was running and Kuma got in his way and Kuma tried to dodge it only to get hit from behind. A hit and run. lol

Remember the cocker spaniel I mentioned yesterday? Well, they were there again and this big gal just made my heart melt. She was so sweet and gentle and just wanted to be loved on. Her partner in crime is an 11 year old pitbull mix. But that dog acted like she was still a young adult dog, chasing the ball and retrieving. Kuma would chase after her, but didn't care much for the ball that was thrown.

Well, I think I will stop there for the time being. Anyways, enjoy the pictures.

Here is an update from the vet. Kuma doesn't have hip dysplasia thank goodness, but he has laxtating patilla. Our vet said that all Kuma needed in regard to his teeth was to be cleaned. This vet we took Kuma too, told us that one of Kuma's Canine mollor tooth was lose and needs to be pulled. She also said that one of Kuma's sharp tooth might need to be pulled. She won't know the extent of what needs to happen until she gets him anethiastised and get a good look. So, Kuma has an appointment to get his dental work done. I'm glad I took Kuma to a different vet to get their opinion. Now, we decided that if Kuma needs any type of medical work, we are going to go to that vet clinic in Anchorage rather then our only vet when we live.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so we dropped Kuma off this morning to his tooth extraction and we are feeling so lost with out him with us. We are anxiously waiting for the call to let us know how the surgery went and when we can pick him up.

Aside from that I got a new hairstyle if i haven't told you yet. Kuma loves the off leash Park and he has gained two pounds. I've seen many rat terriers at that park and I have come to realize Kuma is a rat terrier mutt. The back ends of these other rats were thicker compared to Kumas who is petition in the back. And these terriers other then the chunky one we met, we're all nicely toned. No matter I still love Kuma no matter what and even hubby has said Kuma looks prettier then a purebred.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys, so, I have great news.

After an extensive examination, our new vet concluded that the lose teeth and the other tooth she thought looked infected, were all okay. He had tough plaque in the back of his teeth, but she said everything looked good. So, they gave Kuma a cleaning. And because of Kuma's age, they wanted to do liver and blood work on Kuma which I was happy to have done. The vet and the vet tech were so helpful and wonderful that I was happy and everything was good for Kuma. He is completely healthy.

On the side note, when he came back, he was really strange. He was very affectionate and wouldn't leave me or my hubby alone. (He's been affectioned, but not like this.) We also gave him water and put a quarter food down for him and he ate it all and was looking for more. I waited a few minutes to make sure he was able to keep the food down. (About 15 minutes) Then, I filled up the food and he ate almost all of it. (I don't blame him, we stopped feeding him 8 pm the night before we took him to the vet so, I'm sure he was starving.)

Anyways, the vet recommended that I buy a tooth brush and toothpaste and at least try to get his teeth brushed. She said it would help with his teeth. The vet tech mentioned that maybe the cause of his bad breath might be the type of food we are feeding. (We have been testing the waters with different foods because we want to give him a food he WILL eat.)

Today, Kuma was still very affectionate. Wouldn't leave us alone. We also had food out for him this morning and he didn't touch it, but after we got back from the dog park, he eat his bowl of food. And like always, I filled it up because I knew he wouldn't eat any more until later on tonight or maybe even tomorrow morning. GUess what. he ate it all.... So, I did not refill the food. I will probably put in 1/4 cup tonight before bedtime.

Although Kuma has been going to the dog park, he has gained two pounds since being on this vacation. So he's 14 pounds now instead of 12 pounds. I can't wait to get back home and get him back on our routine. (Where he gets an hour walk and after that hour walk, a quick sprint.)

Since we have zooming cars here, I've been working on them with Kuma, but doing it late at night. (I have loads of treats to help out.) Because he ends up being scared when he sees the door, we have been doing our counditioning there. (Praises and treats.) And no many people opening and closing the doors so I had complete control.

It's coming along, but it's not great. We did a lot of shipping today and we are coming back home tomorrow. Also, Kuma felt he had to, tear a hole in our approved collapsable crate so we had to buy a new one, but I don't know if Alaska Airlines will accept it. (It's approved by most airlines, and i hope it will be approved by ours.) It's slightly smaller then our old one so I'm hoping it won't give us trouble. And if it does, that they have a pet carrying crate we can buy like they did for us back home. (We bought ours from the airlines so it was full proof.)

Anyways, wish us luck as we return home. I hope you guys had fun reading our first, vacation trip with a dog. This is very new for both my husband and me and I'm sure it was for Kuma too.

I have more pictures I will post when I get home and have more time. We try to stay as close to Kuma's schedule as possible, but I've been slacking on his training other then the counter conditioning.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so here are a few short stories.

It was very interesting to see Kuma at the vets office. They had a rescue seal point, long haired siamese cat. (it looks like a siamese car but with seal point markings and long fur.)
The cat was so quiet that Kuma and I didn't even notice it sitting on the bench in the corner. Then this cat decided to move and the vet assistant pointed out the cat and that he was good with all kinds of animals. That cat was very relaxed and confident and Kuma's confidence went away and he avoided the confident cat that was trying to be lovey down.
However, when we went to a friend's house who has a mini poodle and two cats who were confident of their dog, but not Kuma and when Kuma noticed them and I thought he might avoid them but no, he approached them with confidence and the one cat made itself look bigger, and pupils wide. I was able to call Kuma back easily and he ignored them the entire 4 hours we were there.

I think he knew the one cat at the vet was not afraid and Kuma felt uncomfortable though he was very confident in going into the vet office and smelling everything, but when he saw the other cat and probably noticed it's demeanor realized he didn't need to be scared of these cats.

When we had checked in and passed security and made it to the gate, we relaxed and I let Kuma out of his crate and gave him little bit of food and water and did some easy training he already knew. We got there two hours early so we had loads of relax before getting into the plane. An officer approached us and I hoped he wasn't going to say something, but all he asked was what kind of dog Kuma was, can he pet him is he friendly, and told me his story about rescuing a 6 month old puppy from the shelter. We had a lovely little talk. Kuma was kind do of afraid of the cop, but once he offered him a treat Kuma was okay with him petting him.

When we got home and waiting for our bags, a girl snuck up on me and Kuma and Kuma snapped at her and I quickly responded with I'm sorry, but he is nervous and I ask you to not touch him right now. She sort of gave a pouty face and I sighed and gave her a treat and told her to offer it to him. Kuma took the treat and put it on the floor then realized his kennel was open and picked it up and jumped in his kennel and chowed down the snack. I told her we got him a year ago from the shelter and we are still working on his confidence and crowds are not his favorite place yet. She understood and left us alone. Our bags came out quick and we left.

I think Kuma knows his home because the moment he jumped out of the car he was a changed dog. He ran into our room and went right to his bed and slept. Only getting up to drink water and go out to do his business. He gained 2 pounds so once he takes a break to get back into our routine, we will work to get him back to 12 pounds. Yesterday he was back to normal which was good. I think I will wait until this weekend to do training and counter conditioning.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.