Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog got neutered a week ago.... I’ve been keeping an eye on his incision and it seems to be doing well... only thing is it seems to be opening up but is all scabbed over, there is no bleeding, discharge, funny smell, redness and the area isn’t hot at all so I don’t believe there’s an infection.. but i just wonder if it seens normal to be opening up? He does have an E-Collar on and has had it on since he got the procedure done, there’s no pain to the area, maybe itchiness but it just looks like the area is kind of separating apart.. is this normal? The yellow stuff is from the surgery stuff

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Take him in for a visual check.

if U think something isn't 'normal' or are just worried, SEE THE VET.
They don't charge for follow-ups on a surgical procedure - it won't take 5-mins total to either allay Ur fears, or be told it needs [skin glue, debriding, _____ ], & get it taken care of.

There's no point in worrying w/o an answer, & we can only offer our opinions as dog-owners. :)
I'd phone & ask if U can walk-in for a brief visual check. Then U can be assured that all is well, & if there *is* an issue, it's dealt with promptly. :thumbsup:

Remember to keep him on-leash for 5 to 7 days [instructions vary depending on the vet] - no jumping, NO off-leash time with other dogs, no hanging out with other dogs in the family [who will helpfully mess with his incision, if he lets them - as he can't reach it, they'll reach it "for him". :rolleyes: ]

No matter how many times he rolls puppy-dog eyes at U, don't remove the cone-collar - he can pop his stitches in an instant, using his incisors.
Most dogs sail thru a neuter - the biggest problem is keeping them less active when "I feel FINE, really, i DO!...", & they want to race around like eejits, & jump like kangaroos. :eek:

The abandoned GSD that i rescued in a trailer-park was begging to play fetch & Frisbee games on the 3rd day post-neuter, & he was 2-YO at the time of surgery - either he had zero pain, or it was so minimal that, like many dogs, he was ignoring it. [Lots of dogs are too stoic for their own good.]

- terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts