Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ...

MY pup is now 6-months old and is very well house trained. Last week, we took him on vacation with us to northern Wisconsin for hiking, canoeing and camping ... he loved it!!!

Anyway, prior to the trip he was sleeping in his crate at night and during the day when we're at work (we have a dog walker that comes at noon). That said, when we returned on Friday, he wanted to sleep with us at night (as he was doing all week on vacation) ... so we decided 'sure' let's do it ... and it's working out nicely.

This morning, I went to put him in his crate when I left for work and he was not a happy pooch about it. Checked on him w/my web cam and he was barking for over an hour.

So here's the question: is it ok for me to transition him to the whole front porch (essentially a 3-season room where I keep his crate) to allow him more freedom during the day when we're at work ...?
Also ... is allowing him to sleep w/us at night a bad idea ...?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I just checked in on him again via the webcam and he's still crying in the crate ... 4+ hours later :-(

He was with us ALL last week and now he's in his crate ... makes me almost cry. Any advice ???

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's fine to let a dog sleep with you if you don't mind it. My older dog sleeps in bed.

As far as giving him more freedom during the day, all you can really do is try it out and see. I watched my dog on video the first week or so that I left him out. I did it in one room that was pretty boring, and make sure to pick up anything he might consider chewing. If you find that he's chewing things up or having accidents, then go back to the crate for another couple months until he's more mature.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The excessive crying in the crate is probably from the abrupt change in his schedule from spending all the time with you, to now being back in his crate. It will probably go back to normal after a day or two when he realizes that you'll be back for him and haven't just left him alone forever.

In terms of freedom, I've done the same with my guy. He's been sleeping in the bed since he was about 4 months old. and I've been building up to giving him free range of the bedroom while I'm at work by leaving him in there for varying periods of time. Next week will be the big test - he'll go a full 9 hour day in the bedroom. As @Elrohwen mentioned, only way to find out if he's ready is to try it and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.