Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 year old Pomeranian dog, for the past few months he has had bouts of coughing every few weeks, vet said not kennel cough but could be a weak tracheal only cure an operation, but does not always work. The dog is always happy but i get upset when he has a bout of coughing. has anyone else had this problem? and did they find a way to ease the cough. I do not want to put the dog through an operation which has little chance of working and am told could make things worse.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Have a friend that has had a Pom that had a collapsed Trachea. Apparently some small breeds, Pomeranian, is one, I'm told, are prone to developing a collapsed trachea. You are correct, the surgery is major, and is not always successful. Our friends Pom lived with it for many years, she would go into those coughing bouts, if she became excited. As I recall, she was about fourteen or fifteen, when she passed from other causes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Collapsing trachea is very common in small breed dogs especially as they age. Keeping weight off the dog, using a harness instead of a collar to keep the pressure off the trachea helps. Cough suppressants such as cough tabs or Temaril P from your vet help reduce the inflammation from the coughing.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Collapsing trachea is very common in small breed dogs especially as they age. Keeping weight off the dog, using a harness instead of a collar to keep the pressure off the trachea helps. Cough suppressants such as cough tabs or Temaril P from your vet help reduce the inflammation from the coughing.
I am now a little concerned about this in my small dog. But he hates a harness, and has never been happy with any that I have tried for him. Of course, he doesn't pull hard on the leash since he is trained to walk nicely, and I would never tug on his collar. He does sometimes tug on the leash himself and then he coughs, and he will cough if pressure is put on his chest as well, so I have a very certain way to pick him up that doesn't do that. He never coughs more than a few times and then stops.
He has a heart murmur, and I always figured the coughing tendency was from that, but I realize in reading this that I do not know for sure. In any case, he will only walk with a collar. Now, reading this, the possibility of trachea damage worries me, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to help with that. If you have thoughts on this, @agility collie mom , I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am now a little concerned about this in my small dog. But he hates a harness, and has never been happy with any that I have tried for him. Of course, he doesn't pull hard on the leash since he is trained to walk nicely, and I would never tug on his collar. He does sometimes tug on the leash himself and then he coughs, and he will cough if pressure is put on his chest as well, so I have a very certain way to pick him up that doesn't do that. He never coughs more than a few times and then stops.
He has a heart murmur, and I always figured the coughing tendency was from that, but I realize in reading this that I do not know for sure. In any case, he will only walk with a collar. Now, reading this, the possibility of trachea damage worries me, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to help with that. If you have thoughts on this, @agility collie mom , I'd be grateful.
Which harness have you tried? My maltese Hercules is chf and is on lots of medications so it is essential that he wears a harness. I use the puppia vest harness. Ex: RACER HARNESS B (puppiaus.com)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Which harness have you tried? My maltese Hercules is chf and is on lots of medications so it is essential that he wears a harness. I use the puppia vest harness. Ex: RACER HARNESS B (puppiaus.com)
thanks, agility collie mom. the link didn't work for me, nor did it work if I typed it into a search engine. I found the company listed but when I tried to access it the links didn't work.

I have tried various different kinds with both of my dogs, from the cloth racerback style to padded harnesses and the kind that almost look like a t shirt. They do not like any of them! It took me a while to understand that they just didn't like harnesses. but of course, I have not tried them all.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Ah! got it!
Thanks. Well, I did not try this one, no. But I have used one a lot like it - cannot really see a difference from the photo. Is there something special about this one?

·
Registered
953 Posts
It is fleece lined which stops any rubbing or pressure. Alot of the padded ones have neoprene or mesh which seems not to be as comfortable. Plus they are made exclusively for small breed dogs.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thanks.
I did use a fleece lined one and they didn't like that either. (I learned to buy only one, not two, because I had to send a few back!)
I think it was the fact that it has arm holes that they don't like, or maybe the attachment on their backs, rather than the harness rubbing on them. They both wear sweaters when it is cold and don't mind that, though, so maybe it's not the arm holes. I don't know. But it got to the point that they would actually sit down and not walk with a harness on so I went back to collars. A good deal of the time one of them isn't even on leash, so it's not an issue then, but the other one is now too deaf to hear me very well, or from what direction I am calling to recall him, so he has to be on leash for safety.

I wish he would be willing to walk with a harness, though. It seems so much better for them, to me. they don't seem to agree.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks.
I did use a fleece lined one and they didn't like that either. (I learned to buy only one, not two, because I had to send a few back!)
I think it was the fact that it has arm holes that they don't like, or maybe the attachment on their backs, rather than the harness rubbing on them. They both wear sweaters when it is cold and don't mind that, though, so maybe it's not the arm holes. I don't know. But it got to the point that they would actually sit down and not walk with a harness on so I went back to collars. A good deal of the time one of them isn't even on leash, so it's not an issue then, but the other one is now too deaf to hear me very well, or from what direction I am calling to recall him, so he has to be on leash for safety.

I wish he would be willing to walk with a harness, though. It seems so much better for them, to me. they don't seem to agree.
Lol dogs will be dogs!!! You just do the best that you can!! A friend of mine has a six-month-old Dalmation puppy who doesn't like to put his paws in the snow. Too cold and wet for his taste. I told her to make a play date with his friend who is a samoyed when it snows bet he forgets all about the cold and the wet when he is playing chase with his girlfriend. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts