Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to our dear ole Joseph, one of the most difficult decisions we have to make is saying goodbye to a most wonderful companion, friend and partner in life. He came into our lives with the intentions of fostering him, but Joseph had other plans, a young pup terrified of the world who needed someone to love and to love him. Whether he had simply gotten lost, or was abandoned to try to survive on his own, we don't know, but he ended up in a shelter and in need of someone to give him a second chance.
We worked with Joseph, helped him feel safe in the world, gave him the best life we could give him, we had some bumps along the way, it was incredibly hard for him, but in time the most amazing best friend emerged from his terror, his pain, and he blessed our lives with his love, his trust, his joy of life, his sense of humor , his many 'talents'- his constant reminders that if you are going to share your life with a lab a sense of humor is a must.
He was a counter surfer, an art perfected out of practice. Wise enough to insure nobody was looking, smart enough to take his ill gotten treasure into his crate where he could devour it at his leisure. Smart enough to wait until the cookies cooled on the counter, before, in a split second of opportunity, he scarfed down as many as he could reach. Smart enough to locate, and store for future reference, an item on the counter that caught his nose, tempted his palate, waiting for the optimum moment to return and work his 'magic' - it simply disappeared. Brilliant enough to know that the fridge door had been accidently left ajar, and some leftover French fries were waiting for him, he bided his time, and while we were watching TV he disappeared into the kitchen, helped himself to the package, and trotted past the doorway, package grasped firmly in his jaws, heading for his crate to finish them off.
He loved T-tissue, no roll was safe from him, we would often find it shredded on the bathroom floor, or a long line of tissue across the floor, down the hall into his crate. We put the roll up higher, out of reach, we thought, not to be out done, instead of taking just some, he would take the whole roll and get down to business, tearing it into tiny pieces. Over time his tactics changed, he would sit in the bathroom whining and moaning until someone arrived to shared with him a coveted few squares of tissue.
He was a vocal boy, mealtimes had to be 'on time' - not one minute late, lest he should starve from waiting too long, he would remind me - dinner time was near, stare at me, whine a little, look at the food bin, look back at me and to the food bin again. And when the process of dishing up meals for several dogs began, he would closely supervise, as if ensuring, that indeed, there was a bowl for him, and then the happy dance would follow as he eagerly anticipated the arrival of his food - at long last.

He was a beautiful boy, a wonderful old soul with a huge and courageous heart, so sweet and gentle, loving, loyal, giving and forgiving, filling our lives with sunshine, fun times, keeping us wondering what he would come up with next, filling our hearts with his love and our days with endless joy.

Our hearts are broken knowing we will no longer hold him in our arms but we will forever miss him and hold him close in our hearts.

Run free sweet boy....

Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Fawn

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Wood Comfort

Dog Comfort Dog supply Textile Carnivore

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
to our dear ole Joseph, one of the most difficult decisions we have to make is saying goodbye to a most wonderful companion, friend and partner in life. He came into our lives with the intentions of fostering him, but Joseph had other plans, a young pup terrified of the world who needed someone to love and to love him. Whether he had simply gotten lost, or was abandoned to try to survive on his own, we don't know, but he ended up in a shelter and in need of someone to give him a second chance.
We worked with Joseph, helped him feel safe in the world, gave him the best life we could give him, we had some bumps along the way, it was incredibly hard for him, but in time the most amazing best friend emerged from his terror, his pain, and he blessed our lives with his love, his trust, his joy of life, his sense of humor , his many 'talents'- his constant reminders that if you are going to share your life with a lab a sense of humor is a must.
He was a counter surfer, an art perfected out of practice. Wise enough to insure nobody was looking, smart enough to take his ill gotten treasure into his crate where he could devour it at his leisure. Smart enough to wait until the cookies cooled on the counter, before, in a split second of opportunity, he scarfed down as many as he could reach. Smart enough to locate, and store for future reference, an item on the counter that caught his nose, tempted his palate, waiting for the optimum moment to return and work his 'magic' - it simply disappeared. Brilliant enough to know that the fridge door had been accidently left ajar, and some leftover French fries were waiting for him, he bided his time, and while we were watching TV he disappeared into the kitchen, helped himself to the package, and trotted past the doorway, package grasped firmly in his jaws, heading for his crate to finish them off.
He loved T-tissue, no roll was safe from him, we would often find it shredded on the bathroom floor, or a long line of tissue across the floor, down the hall into his crate. We put the roll up higher, out of reach, we thought, not to be out done, instead of taking just some, he would take the whole roll and get down to business, tearing it into tiny pieces. Over time his tactics changed, he would sit in the bathroom whining and moaning until someone arrived to shared with him a coveted few squares of tissue.
He was a vocal boy, mealtimes had to be 'on time' - not one minute late, lest he should starve from waiting too long, he would remind me - dinner time was near, stare at me, whine a little, look at the food bin, look back at me and to the food bin again. And when the process of dishing up meals for several dogs began, he would closely supervise, as if ensuring, that indeed, there was a bowl for him, and then the happy dance would follow as he eagerly anticipated the arrival of his food - at long last.

He was a beautiful boy, a wonderful old soul with a huge and courageous heart, so sweet and gentle, loving, loyal, giving and forgiving, filling our lives with sunshine, fun times, keeping us wondering what he would come up with next, filling our hearts with his love and our days with endless joy.

Our hearts are broken knowing we will no longer hold him in our arms but we will forever miss him and hold him close in our hearts.

Run free sweet boy....

View attachment 252466

View attachment 252468

View attachment 252470
He was a very lucky boy to have found you

·
Administrator
1,409 Posts
A beautiful tribute, very poignant, had me laughing one minute and welling up the next. He put me in mind of my brother's dog, Harvey.

So sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. A quote I found recently,

"I could tell you the story of my life through the dogs I have loved. I could tell you the story of the losses in my life through their deaths." [Erica Jong]

Take care of yourselves and feel free to reach out in any way.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you.
I am so sorry for your loss, it is indeed heartbreaking to lose them. I have traveled this journey more than a few times and it doesn't get easier, it is truly devastating. But, in time the tears do stop, the heartache eases bit by bit, our hearts begin to heal and we can begin to remember them with a smile thinking about the good times, the 'sunshine', the joy we shared with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts