Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
We moved from California to Idaho late December.

I have a almost 3 year old male intact border collie and a 2 year old male neutered coonhound.
Since moving, the border collie has starting peeing in the house. Only when no one is home and not even every timeThey at the same places. The pillars in the living room and pillars by the state case. It’s obvious he’s peeing directly on them. There usually isn’t even enough pee to get to the ground. It pools on the edge at the bottom.
He also is not eating as much. We’ve always only fed at night. Each dog gets 2 cups. My collie isn’t eating all of his food. He needs reassurance to even go to the food dish. The dish does sit near the stair pillar where he pees sometimes.
I keep thinking he’s going through something emotionally and I just want to help him! My fiancé wants to start locking him up when we leave. I’m trying to avoid that.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
It could be that he is unsettled, or it could be that he is scent marking - which would maybe be an easier fix. For scent marking, clean really thoroughly, importantly using an enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for 10 minutes before you wipe it up, to give the enzymes the time to do their job. You could also try blocking access to the usual places. Some people find belly bands help.

Can you set up a video app to see his behaviour? Thay would give you a good idea whether it is scent marking or anxiety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you recommend a cleaner or just any with enzymes?
I am thinking about trying to record in the house while we are out. I just don’t have a way to record for that long right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts