Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! :)
I used to have a dog for almost 13 years and then she passed away. Me and my mom decided that it would be a good idea to take a new one, since we are used to having a pet around.
Exactly a month ago we decided to adobt a dog. Now, a month later i can say (i know it sounds really harsh) that it was the worst decision we could possibly make. I'm going to list some problems here and if someone has any solution to them, please post them here, it would help alot.

1. We take her out for a pe-pe almost after every 2 hours. Yesterday morning my mom took her out, dog peed and then they came back. My mom went to kitchen to have a cup of coffee, when she came back, the dog had peed all over her bed. It's the 4th time that has happened.

2. She can only eat special food, which costs alot. If she eats something else, she will get diarrhea instantly.

3. My dog is obsessed with my mother, she won't leave her alone. She is constantly trying to get attention. For example, if my mother is watching television, the dog will stand in front of the TV, so she won't see anything. If i try to play with her she starts to bark and gets angry. She has attacked me twice.

4. I take her for a walk for at least an hour every night. But we had to buy her a muzzle because she attacks other dogs and people.

5. I'm pretty sure she has some mental illnesses and a huge need of attention even though we play with her constantly.

Now it has came to a point where my mom can't take it anymore. She has to wake up at 3.30 to take the dog out for a pe-pe. And she has a really intense job so she would desperately need that 8 hours of sleep. And even if she takes the dog out, sometimes the dog won't even pee.
And the amount of money is crazy. Special food, muzzle, we bought her a big cage, toys, her own bed and so on. It's insane.

I'm in a situation where the dog is driving us crazy. My mother is constantly pissed off and yelling at everyone cause of the stress. She even cried. :eyeroll: That dog is a huge pain in the ass for both of us. At daytime she is alone trapped in her cage, cause if we would leave her out, the house would be destroyed. She has to sleep in her cage the whole night because otherwise she will pee on my moms or my bed. I don't know what to do anymore, i really don't. I've started to hate that dog and the shelter won't take her back.
+ She won't go a meter away from you and she can't be alone. She is running after my mom all the time, my mother can't even cook because the dog is sitting next to her legs or trying to jump to her lap. If my mom closes the door the dog will start to whine, cry, bark and do really loud noises.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Some questions:

How old is your dog?
What breed?
Where did the dog come from? (Breeder, rescue, etc)
What training methods are you using?
How much time do you spend training the dog?
How much time can you (realistically) spend training your dog on a daily basis?
What are you feeding the dog?

Let's start there :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i'd like to add how much exercise does the pup get during the day?

Reactions: myrottenones

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sounds like this is not the right dog for your and your mom. I would take the dog back to the shelter they have to take her. Oh and by the way all dogs cost money so you may want to rethink getting another.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Many dogs from shelters and rescues come with baggage. It's great when someone adopts a dog and the dog fits in to the family and everything is easy. It's tough when someone adopts a dog who has behavior problems. I feel for you.

Some thoughts, based on what you've shared. The dog possibly has some separation anxiety. This is not uncommon in shelter dogs and especially dogs who don't have a lot of good life experiences in their background. Separation anxiety can range from mild to so severe it requires medications.

They're worried, they're anxious and they don't want to be left alone. Dogs are very social animals and when they go through an upheaval and lots of change, they can develop anxieties. Much like a very young human child might become very insecure and anxious if he or she had been bounced from home to home and spent time in an orphanage where the main focus was simply housing and feeding.

The inappropriate peeing is often a sign of stress and especially when a dog is peeing on a human's bed. House training can be difficult with fearful dogs. Any sort of punishment or correction for accidents makes things worse.

Her reaction to other dogs when you're walking is also a sign of anxiety and fear. Dogs that lunge and bark at other dogs are trying to sound and look intimidating to keep the other dog away.

This dog may be more work and training time than you or your mom are able to offer. Not everyone can spend the time learning how to help a dog like this and not everyone has the personality to be patient as the dog learns. That's not a criticism of you or your mom. Sometimes a trainer needs to be hired and for severe separation anxiety medications are needed along with behavior modification.

I'll post a few links below for you to look at. If you decide to try, lots of members here have experience with behavior modification and can help you. If you decide this isn't the dog for you, I'd return her to the shelter or rescue and explain exactly what behaviors she's exhibiting. There's no shame in saying that a dog isn't right for you.

Fearfuldogs.com

Care for Reactive Dogs

The Expert on Helping Dogs with Separation Anxiety - Malena DeMartini

The training and behavior section have some stickies on these subjects that are very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
1. Are y'all rewarding her for peeing outside? Does she have enough time to go at least 2x, or can you bring her back out after 5 or 10 minutes? Is there anyway to block off your mom's room so she does not have access to the bed?

2. What food are you feeding her? Do you know what her allergies are? We may be able to help you find a cheaper alternative.

3. What do you mean by attack? How is she with you when your mom is not around?

4. My dog would willingly do that. The Care for Reactive Dogs site that Grabby linked to will help you work with her on that type of reaction. It does take a lot of time and effort though, and there are no fast fixes.

5. Contact a good, positive reinforcement, behaviorist, here's a link to help you find one http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/finding-trainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/ about her behavior and have her evaluated. It may be that medication may help.

How old is she? Has you taken her to the vet to have her tested for bladder or kidney problems? If she's past 6 months old she should not need to go potty every two hours, nor should she need a 3 am potty break. Peeing in strange places, like your mom's bed, and needing to pee frequently, can be a sign of bladder or kidney problems.

Reactions: myrottenones

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Everyone else has given the best basic advice and questions but one thing I really want to know is what did you know about this dog before you brought her home and did the rescue/previous owner inform you about any of these difficult behaviors beforehand?

·
Registered
531 Posts
If i try to play with her she starts to bark and gets angry. She has attacked me twice.
I would like to know more about this part. What signs is she showing when "she starts to get angry"? What toys are you using? Will she play with your mom with the same toys?

5. I'm pretty sure she has some mental illnesses and a huge need of attention even though we play with her constantly.
I really recommend you to look at these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c - how to capture calmness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8 - positive interrupter noise.

Also, who feeds her? Who gives her treats? Where in the house does she eat and how often?

I would also like to add that a month in a new home is not very long at all for the dog to be completely comfortable and settled.

I can't think of the saying, I do believe @Gabby might know what I am trying to think of? Something about how long it might take a dog to come into his own in a new home.

I would second the behaviorist. There is no shame in admitting we are in over our heads. Sometimes we just need a different perspective on things, sometimes that isn't even enough.

Hang in there! Take a deep breath and send your mom to an hour of bubble bath with a good book!

·
Registered
292 Posts
This does not sound like the dog is the issue to be honest.
A month is not enough to know how the dog takes to food for one.
It is very common for a dog to do the things described in situations where the owners are not doing what is needed for that dog.
I find it hard to explain this in a nice way, but what did you expect in a dog?
Perfect right out of the running?
The amount of time and money myself and most of the dog owners I am close to makes it hard to feel sympathetic.
Research! Research! Research!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Man, multiple comments about the ~expense of a dog~, such a bad owner who knows nothing about the cost of pets.

They HAD a dog til now and know what at least that dog ran by way of costs. Clearly this new dog is more expensive than the last one to a degree where it's upsetting. Of all the things that need repeated pointing out, the cost isn't one of them. We ALL know some dogs ARE far more costly than other dogs. Dogs with allergies that can only eat XYZ food, dogs with super grooming needs, dogs that repeatedly eat their beds, etc.

Let's focus on the other things, like what looks like leash reactivity, what might be toy resource guarding, obvious separation anxiety, and so on.

We've told other people that sometimes a given specific dog isn't a good match for a given specific family. That advice holds here too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey! :)
I used to have a dog for almost 13 years and then she passed away. Me and my mom decided that it would be a good idea to take a new one, since we are used to having a pet around.
Exactly a month ago we decided to adobt a dog. Now, a month later i can say (i know it sounds really harsh) that it was the worst decision we could possibly make. I'm going to list some problems here and if someone has any solution to them, please post them here, it would help alot.

1. We take her out for a pe-pe almost after every 2 hours. Yesterday morning my mom took her out, dog peed and then they came back. My mom went to kitchen to have a cup of coffee, when she came back, the dog had peed all over her bed. It's the 4th time that has happened.

2. She can only eat special food, which costs alot. If she eats something else, she will get diarrhea instantly.

3. My dog is obsessed with my mother, she won't leave her alone. She is constantly trying to get attention. For example, if my mother is watching television, the dog will stand in front of the TV, so she won't see anything. If i try to play with her she starts to bark and gets angry. She has attacked me twice.

4. I take her for a walk for at least an hour every night. But we had to buy her a muzzle because she attacks other dogs and people.

Now it has came to a point where my mom can't take it anymore. She has to wake up at 3.30 to take the dog out for a pe-pe. And she has a really intense job so she would desperately need that 8 hours of sleep. And even if she takes the dog out, sometimes the dog won't even pee.
And the amount of money is crazy. Special food, muzzle, we bought her a big cage, toys, her own bed and so on. It's insane.

I'm in a situation where the dog is driving us crazy. My mother is constantly pissed off and yelling at everyone cause of the stress. She even cried. :eyeroll: That dog is a huge pain in the ass for both of us. At daytime she is alone trapped in her cage, cause if we would leave her out, the house would be destroyed. She has to sleep in her cage the whole night because otherwise she will pee on my moms or my bed. I don't know what to do anymore, i really don't. I've started to hate that dog and the shelter won't take her back.
+ She won't go a meter away from you and she can't be alone. She is running after my mom all the time, my mother can't even cook because the dog is sitting next to her legs or trying to jump to her lap. If my mom closes the door the dog will start to whine, cry, bark and do really loud noises.
1.) Has the dog gone to see a vet about a possible UTI, vaginitis, or something else that could be causing her to urinate so much? Is she leaking or consciously urinating?

2). With her food, did you change her food cold turkey or did you slowly add in the new one? Changing food too quickly can cause digestive upset. Has she been checked for parasites?

3). Can you elaborate a bit more on her attacking you during play? Did you try to take a toy away from her and she got upset? If she's growling during play, could it be play growling?

4). How much exercise is she getting? If it's only 1 walk a day, it may not be enough for her to get her pent up energy put.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Hi @KatyKs

Overall, you've gotten several thoughtful responses here of people asking questions and wanting to help you and your dog. I hope that you'll have a chance to come back and provide more information about your dog so that you can get advice that's tailored to your individual situation.

If you decide to rehome your dog, I would hope that you would do all that you can to find the best possible home for her. I would suggest contacting rescue groups in your area and see if they would take an "owner surrender." Two years ago, I adopted a dog that didn't work out for me and my family, and with the help of a rescue group, I was able to place him in a private, no-kill shelter. He was very quickly adopted by another family, and I had peace of mind knowing that he would be ok. If at all possible, please avoid public, kill shelters.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Man, multiple comments about the ~expense of a dog~, such a bad owner who knows nothing about the cost of pets.

They HAD a dog til now and know what at least that dog ran by way of costs. Clearly this new dog is more expensive than the last one to a degree where it's upsetting. Of all the things that need repeated pointing out, the cost isn't one of them. We ALL know some dogs ARE far more costly than other dogs. Dogs with allergies that can only eat XYZ food, dogs with super grooming needs, dogs that repeatedly eat their beds, etc.

Let's focus on the other things, like what looks like leash reactivity, what might be toy resource guarding, obvious separation anxiety, and so on.

We've told other people that sometimes a given specific dog isn't a good match for a given specific family. That advice holds here too.
I reread all of the responses and I don't think it's fair to state this as all but maybe one person has given excellent helpful advice and lots of resources and I actually didn't read anyone bring up the cost of the dog.

Purchasing an animal out of grief is generally a not a good idea, however I feel for you and understand how it feels to want to fill that hole in your heart with another dog. Unfortunately, that hole will never be filled, and will remain however one day it will not be just a hole of sadness, it will be a place of fond memories that you will treasure.

For now, you just need to make a decision with the best interest of the dog in mind, and I think that means sending the dog back to the shelter and just explaining you purchased out of grief and you aren't ready to handle another dog.

It sounds like your last dog was easy or at least fairly inexpensive. Dogs (especially shelter dogs with unknown backgrounds) can cost a fortune in rehabilitation, training, vet bills, and destruction to your home they can cause such as peeing on the carpet and chewing things from the separation anxiety many develop.

I would suggest you take the dog back, allow yourself to heal, and when you're ready for another dog - put in the hours and weeks and months that it takes to choose a dog that matches your family best. I spent two years researching australian shepherds before I got one and Cosmo fit beautifully into my life. Now I'm in the middle of researching and meeting Borzoi and their human families to determine whether they'll be right for me in a year or two's time.

If you want to adopt from a shelter I would suggest that you try to become apart of foster-to-adopt programs, where you can keep the dog with you for a couple weeks before making the final decision. Not every dog is good with every person - we all know this and it just sounds like this is not the right time or the right dog for you and your family.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you and your family and this dog luck!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
To the OP, welcome to DF! I have not seen if you have posted an age for your current pooch, some behaviours are indicative of age. For instance a senior is going to act very differently then a puppy, and both are going to be very different then a young adult. What breed was your previous dog and what breed is the new one?

None of us here are here to judge your situation, but we can only give our best advice for what we know about your situation.

As others have said, a month isn't a lot of time for an adopted dog to adjust to a new routine. Since the dog is new to you, you need to lower expectations. This dog is not your previous dog. I'm sure your last pet was probably well suited to your family, house trained, obedient (and if not, at least you knew what to expect). This pet is trying to find her way in your family and you need to work at creating a bond/relationship of trust - good dogs don't come out of packages.

I know this feeling. I got my current dog 3 months after my senior passed. Tessa, current pooch, is nothing like Jazzy (my last dog). Jazzy was calm, cat like, easy to read, and didn't crave attention. Basically she was fine with the odd pat on the head and short walk, then she'd be off to her bed for a nice 4 hour nap - very much like a cat in a dogs body. She was also potty trained by 10 weeks old and was incredibly malleable, meaning you could pretty much do anything to her and she never cared. Need to clean Jazzy's ears? fine. Trim nails? whatever. Pick her up and smooch her cute little face? Eh, part of the job.

Tessa, in comparison, is always on. She NEEDS attention, she NEEDS exercise, she NEEDS stimulation, she's exhausting (but I love it) and wasn't fully potty trained until 6 months of age and is both reactive and a resource guarder. She never sits still, requires positive training/positive associations with new/strange things, and you better have a butt load of treats on you to even go near her nails lol.

It was hard for me to adjust from having a pet that worked on my schedule to a dog that required me to set aside time in my day (if that makes sense) but I adjusted my life to work for her and know she's become part of my soul. I'm sure if she had it her way she would sew herself to my side lol. If you can't foresee changing and giving up your time to train/change for the pooch, then it is best to take her to a rescue that will work with her and provide for her, and look into either a quiet and calm senior pet that will fit better; Or hold off on getting another until you are ready to handle whatever baggage you may have to deal with in a new pet and have finished grieving your previous dog.

I would like to add, in regards to your points, getting up at 3 am is part of the job. Some dogs just want up and out to "check" the yard, some have issues that should be treated, some are sick. You need a vet to determine medical issues first, then if clear, figure out how to adjust the routine - because obviously if nothings wrong, the dog is getting some reward for getting up at that time.

The money aspect is simple: some dogs cost more. Does your pet have allergies? If so that special food is saving you huge $ in vet bills believe me, I have a dog with allergies. This is something you need to budget for. For instance my dog can only eat a few of the Acana lines and mostly just Orijen - because they are the only food near me that are flax free. Do I sometimes wish I could feed her something cheaper to help my budget? yes. But then I look at her and see how healthy and happy she is and proceed to eat my crackers and cheese for supper.

Crates, toys, and yes even muzzles are part of the gig. If you can't afford it then seriously re-think pet ownership until you can. It sounds like she would also benefit from a trainer, that will be additional money, but will help you to understand what is going on and how to handle her. She sounds reactive, which means she reacts towards strangers in a "aggressive" manner because she's had either a negative experience or is terrified of them, therefore acting this way makes the scary thing leave. My dog is this way and yes it can be managed. If you put a little work into it you can even manage it to the point that she can walk next to a strange dog/person - after years of training/work.

As I've stated, and others, if this dog isn't working for you then you need to find her a home that will - please don't dump her. Some dogs just don't fit, but that means you need to research a lot harder to make sure the next pet you get does.

**Sorry this post is so long, I've had a lot of coffee today and seem to be type happy lol**

Reactions: cos
1 - 14 of 14 Posts