Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been working really hard on Tessa's reactivity and she's done really well. We had a trainer from another city in town that we have been working with and it's been good.

Well today, all of that hard work when down the crapper. We got rushed by an off leash labra-freaking-doodle! :mad: They are our new neighbours and all he kept yelling was "he's friendly" and "Toby come". Needless to say Toby didn't respond and continued at Tessa, who for a moment was behind me acting fine, and then not so fine when the labradoodle started obnoxiously "play" snapping towards her (no bow involved, just air snapping at her face and back end). Friendly my A$$ (sorry for the language).

The dog was giving off all kinds of bad signals and really didn't know how to back off when Tessa responded. So Tessa went Bat -sh- crazy on him the mean time and all could keep saying was calm down/it's ok,. I froze, I hate that I froze, but I did and just continued to recite it's ok while holding on to the now whirling black tornado that became my dog while I waited for the owner to finally grab his dog. As most reactive owners here know, this seemed like it took an eternity and left me exhausted and Tessa stressed.

Then I got home and got peeved. Both at myself and at the owner. Like seriously, why didn't he notice his lax calling of his dog's name wasn't working to get the dog back and just run and grab his dang dog, or find that telling me he's friendly really wasn't going to solve the problem that my dog wasn't enjoying his presence. It was pretty obvious Tessa was very obviously not happy, I looked like maniac hold my dogs leash, and here he is walking the 15 feet towards us causally. Not happy:mad:

Seriously. When are people going to actually look at their dogs and realize they have a problem. I have had to. I accept Tessa doesn't get along with all dogs, that she only has a clique she likes, and that she's dog reactive. I'm sure this guy will just go home and talk about the crazy, aggressive dog "toby" tried to make friends with and how he was just so friendly and he can't understand people that have mean dogs. Not even thinking about how he doesn't have a reliable recall or how lucky he is that I can handle my dog enough to not let her rip "Toby" a new one even if she's going nuts.

End Rant. Thank you for reading. I understand if you didn't, it's long. Also I'm sorry if I rambled, I was angry typing.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm sorry :(

I don't know why people don't mind their dogs better, friendly or not. I love going to dog walks with my non-reactive dog but we stick near the edges and try not to get into the crowd too much as there are often dogs picking fights with each other while the owners ignore it. My girl's reasonably friendly, but she doesn't like her space invaded (she doesn't get nasty, just uncomfortable) and honestly, you just never know what the other dog's going to do.

But, I've been accused of being overprotective :) I don't want anything bad to happen - whether my dog starts it or another one. Calm, trusted dogs I'm happy with meeting slowly and playing by ear, but maybe having a reactive dog wised me to the fact that not every dog is a blissfully ignorant creature that is just happy no matter what's in front of him. Some people don't really seem to grasp that dogs have emotions too, and they act on them!

Hopefully this won't set you back too far. Bad things happen, maybe it will be good to work off of so that you'll know how to bounce back in the future. Because we all know there's going to be another maniac somewhere who lets their dog run totally wild. :eyeroll:

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
When polite does not work, and people are ignoring the obvious fact that my dog is not friendly, I've learned to say he's not friendly (saying he's fearful is usually ignored by the general public). When that does not work I tell them straight up "He WILL bite you!!!!".

I hate the ones who refuse to control their dog while shouting "It's alright, he's friendly!". Even more do I hate the people who tell me, "It's alright dog's love me!" while reaching towards Zody.

I hope your new neighbor has learned to keep his dog on leash, or at the very least will restrain him when you and Tessa are out and about. How's Tessa doing? Hopefully it's just a minor set back and she recovers quick.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ugh, I'm really sorry that happened to you, how frustrating. It's so annoying when people do stuff like that. I agree with Rain, sometimes you have to be rude. (As a fellow Canadian, I know it's hard!).
Levi is very dog-reactive, in that he wants to go play with them SO. BADLY. He completely focuses in on them, and sometimes even the very best treats I have (Steak for God's sake...) don't work to get his attention. I have to start telling people he's not friendly, because if I say he's friendly, people bring their dogs over, and so he is rewarded for his pulling/lunging on the leash. Sigh.

I think most people are super-oblivious to when their dog has a problem (present company here at the DF excluded). Hopefully you guys can have a day to chill, and avoid that dog in the future.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That owner sounds like the majority I've met in my town. I straight up tell them that Gracie's not dog-friendly. We go to the dog park as soon as it opens and no one else is there, just so Gracie can have the area to herself. She's become a grumpy old lady, and I've learned to work around that.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you and Tessa. The people are the hardest part of dog training. At least you know that that new neighbor is an issue and maybe you can speak with them about it, or just avoid them like the plague.

"He's friendly I swear" is one of the most OBNOXIOUS thing I can hear coming from someone else who is not heeding my warning.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Bleh that sucks so much. I hate people who yell "It's okay, s/he is friendly!" whilst their dog tears up to mine...that's great, but I might not want them to say hello, or maybe it's a big dog and Zoey is scared of them.

I also really hate it when someone's dog causes trouble, and the owner saunters nonchalantly towards you to retrieve it. Years ago there was a Giant Schnauzer that wandered out of an open garden gate once and approached Kasper. The dog ended up being very pushy, towering over Kasper and growling. Kasper rolled to show his belly and this other dog was shoving its face into his and growling. The dog didn't even have a damn harness or collar on, so there was nothing for us to grab.

The owner came out of the garden, about 16ft from us, and trundled over at snail's pace. He didn't say ANYTHING to us, no apologies. Slapped his dog on the side, barked an order at it, and they left :mad:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know how you feel my dog Asha is really fearful reactive and the amount of times off leash dogs have run up to us and got in her face, and when I've asked owners to call their dogs away it's always the same thing 'oh they're friendly'. The worst part is I specifically walk her in ON LEASH areas.

I heard someone mention once instead of saying my dogs not friendly you say 'my dogs contagious' and that apparently makes owners call their dogs away quick smart.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the support guys :). Toby the Labradoodle has become Tessa's enemy numero 1. We still went for our usual walk today and Tessa's hackles went immediately up as we passed their house which was a given. She did good though on the rest of our walk. We even got wedged between an oncoming beagle and a dog behind the fence - rock meet hard place was all that came to mind at the time - and she was able to control herself and focus on me. So far so good.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ugh hate this, so sorry you had to go through this. I have had to resort to buying my reactive dog the harness and matching lead that is bright orange and says "NO DOGS" multiple times hopefully that works, coz sadly the basket muzzle didn't, ugh people make me mad!

·
Registered
641 Posts
My dog isn't particularly reactive at all, to much of anything, but today at a popular park with waterfalls, there was a woman with a little girl, who was running way ahead of her (did I mention that we had seven inches of rain two nights ago, and the river and falls are running at a really rapid rate?--I'd have had a better grip on that kid, if I'd been her), and a half-grown large mix of some sort over whom she had zero control. Between that group and me and my dog was an older woman with a small dog about the size of mine. The larger dog bounced all over on the little dog--completely playfully, but the size differential could have been a problem, particularly since both dogs were leashed and the smaller dog didn't have a lot of options in terms of getting away from the larger, bouncy youngster and its owner was doing nothing to control said younger, larger dog.

Now, my dog has little use for ill-mannered dogs and hates being jumped at when he's on leash and feels trapped, especially if the other dog has a longer lead and isn't under control (which was the case today). When we got closer, the owner of the big mix said, "Oh, look, here's another dog you can play with," at which point her dog got ready to leap at mine--and mine went off. Entirely verbally, but he made it completely clear that he was not going to be her dog's new playmate. Naturally, she freaked out and warned her daughter--who was nowhere near my dog--not to pet every dog she sees and to always ask first (she didn't do that with the previous dog). I told my dog "leave it, " the moment he went off, and he shut up and said to her, tersely, "It's not the child, it's the dog" and kept moving. I'm sure she thought her dog was lovely and friendly and mine was vicious, but he later passed several other dogs of various sizes without a peep and was perfectly pleased to be petted by people of all ages, from one in a stroller to one in a walker, as we went through the park.

I wasn't exactly happy that he reacted to the other dog, but then again, I wasn't happy to see someone with no control of her child or dog going through a busy park on a Saturday either. The little girl couldn't have been more than three and was frequently too far ahead of her for her to be able to step in if she needed to do so, and the dog had zero leash manners, which was part of the reason the little girl could run off so easily--Mom was constantly having to deal with the dog. Honestly, it's not that hard to teach a dog to walk on a loose lead or to avoid leaping at every dog he/she sees, and it makes your life so much easier in the long run. And if your dog isn't yet leash trained, then don't try to take him/her and a young child on a walk through a crowded park where both dog and child are going to be hugely distracted by everything else that's going on. God forbid a squirrel had run by or they had encountered a truly reactive dog (mine was just ignoring her dog until it started to go for him) that was big enough to hurt hers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts