Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors have 2 dogs, both unknown breeds(mixed), and they leave quite often because their jobs call for it, so instead of hiring a professional which costs an arm and a leg, they hire me. My neighbors are gone for 2 weeks, crazy amount of time to leave a dog who is basically a part of the family . One of the dogs sits outside and refuses to move, when I try to get him inside he sits there and will not let me move him. He is a big dog with history of aggression(he was in a shelter so he was probably mistreated), So Its not easy for me to forcefully move him, especially considering he weighs about 100 pounds. I dont know what to do and the neighbors are on a cruise so I cant call them or communicate with them easily. I have to watch it for 2 weeks, and im on the first day and this is already happening
Please give me some tips
Thank you,
Will M.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree that offering food might work. I also thibk that maybe once you have him inside you may want to let him out on leash for potty breaks. That way you wont have to worry about this again! ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have a huge, almost 2 acre fenced in yard and I bought a squirrel call to get our foster dogs to come back inside. It makes a high pitched sequel noise and it recalls the dogs immediately because they want to investigate as to what it is. I give high value treats when they come in - hot dogs, a little piece of chicken etc. Works like a charm :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Forgot to say in my last post that when I first adopted my dog he was a notorious runaway and escape artist who took literally hours to catch and the shelter staff told me never to let him loose anywhere unfenced without a leash or drag line. Still took me a good hour every night on the dog park to catch him and he still outsmarted me a million times finding creative ways to escape.
Anyway, I learned that he'll do anything for a squeaky sound, the word cookie, a rabbit or rat or squirrel to chase, or meeting a new dog. I can now make a very convincing squeaky sound when I don't have a toy lol. And get home and about twenty other dogs racing up to me in any dog park. When I call him, same thing. All the regular dogs know I have bacon treats and race over. Ignore their owners and follow me like the pied Piper lol.
Try squeaky toys, bacon, steak, stuffed animal toys, especially if they squeaky. Every dog has something they can't resist.
And very good point about keeping him on leash so you don't have to deal with this problem again.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts