Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 month old boston terrier with a lot of energy. I like taking him to the dog park and i'd probably talke him everyday if he didn't get so dirty. I don't care that he gets dirty. I just don't know about washing him everyday. We use "Hyliderm Shampoo" that we got from the vet. The bottle says it is "soap-free, hypoallergenic shampoo for routine cleansing of normal, dry or sensitive skin." On the back of the bottle it says "may be used often as necessary" and I'm pretty sure I remember the vet saying I could use the shampoo as much as possible. Could I really wash my dog every day or every other day with this shampoo and not worry about anything? Any feedback would be great...even if it is telling me that I am thinking too much...... THANKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I personally think everyday/every other day is going to be too often.

With a Boston coat, you can likely wipe down with a damp wash cloth as frequently as needed though! :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i used to wash jessie weekly and it destroyed her natural oils and it took up to three months to get her coat soft and silky again! you can buy pet wipes and use them in between. i bathe her monthly although it was 2 weeks yesterday when i bathed her only because she poo'ed in her crate and looked like she had either stepped or laid in it! otherwise just once a month or when dog smells doggy

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yeah, dogs don't need daily baths/showers like us stinky humans. ;)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Yeah, dogs don't need daily baths/showers like us stinky humans. ;)
LOL so so true. Wish sometimes i was a dog but then id feel so dirty not having a bath or shower everyday! cant stand to not shower everyday so how dogs can cope with once a month lol lucky them

·
Registered
624 Posts
We hose our dog off everyday after the dog park (usually gets completely slimmed by other dogs, run in mud, exc)... soap every couple weeks.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Give him a bath with no soap (hose him off or shower him off). If he's not too dirty just use a wet baby wipe and wipe him down. The most I'd bath is once a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
once a week could destroy the natural oils so id go for every 2-4 weeks to be safe as you dont want a dry dull coat

·
Registered
862 Posts
I bath my dog about once a week.

I think frequent bathing with good shampoo properly rinsed is fine. weekly but more then that seems a little much.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I bath my dog about once a week.

I think frequent bathing with good shampoo properly rinsed is fine. weekly but more then that seems a little much.
Good shampoo like oatmeal shampoo?

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
Using a high quality shampoo (and I'd also recommend a conditioner) weekly should not damage the coat. My dogs get bathed weekly and they are fine, but they are also on a high quality diet as well. Diet plays a huge part in how their coat looks as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts