Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!

So.. I have a bit of a conundrum...

I have a 9lb, 6-year-old Lhasa who's been to the groomer ever since I've had her. So she's not new to the concept. I usually have her shaved and such so her cut is the same as well.

I've been going to this particular groomer for about two years and altogether she's been there (5) times. With that said, I've been getting a feeling the groomer wasn't big into doing her. (I've got some examples)

I keep her up myself so when the groomer gets her, she's not matted. She simply needs a shave down and nails clipped so she's not a hard dog to do. Not to mention other groomers never have had an issue with her and say how well mannered she usually is.

This last time, less than a week ago I had taken her and when we got her back, she was clingy, did nothing but cry and whine if I was not within the home with her. She's never like this--- sometimes for the first few hours after getting home same day, but usually, she's bouncing around enjoying her new cut.

So it's brought up the fact that I wonder if something happened to her at the groomer? Anyone have any ideas? She didn't come home with strange marks or anything. No blood or of the likeness.

·
Registered
796 Posts
How does she act around the groomer? Does she shy away dramatically?

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Unfortunately the only person who could tell you this is probably not going to. I don't she sounds like s dog that who has been downright abused, but she doesn't sound like she enjoyed the situation. I would maybe consider finding a new groomer. Look for one with a completely different environment like maybe a mobile groomer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the only person who could tell you this is probably not going to. I don't she sounds like s dog that who has been downright abused, but she doesn't sound like she enjoyed the situation. I would maybe consider finding a new groomer. Look for one with a completely different environment like maybe a mobile groomer.
You're probably right. I've just been concerned since she's been off so badly. When I went to make her appointment the groomer never called back. Luckily someone I know had her number and she picked up that one and said she 'forgot my number'. In that case that tells me she doesn't want my business. My fiancee took Kiara there this past weekend and he said the groomer seemed less than happy. so who knows...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
That can be a real dilemma. I think mistreatment, probably more likely rough handling by groomers is not that unusual, unfortunately.

In our case, Samantha, who needs to be groomed monthly, has only ever been groomed by our Vet's groomer. The groomer knows and loves Samantha, and vice versa. Samantha is always happy to see the groomer, though she is sometimes a bit reluctant to go into the back with her. I like this arrangement, our Vet, I know abhors any level of mistreatment of animals, and anything done by anyone in his clinic will be done according to his standards.

·
Registered
662 Posts
A dog doesn't need to be "abused" to have a traumatic grooming experience, IMO. Normal restraint for a nail trim on a dog who really doesn't like it can be highly stressful, and depending on the dog, a shave down may also be really stressful.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I hope you find a better groomer!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would trust my gut if I was in your position. You know your dog best, and the behaviour concerned you enough to ponder on it. For me, that alone would be enough to scrap that groomer. I would not take any risk that my dog could be distraught or uncomfortable or unhappy or traumatised.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I suppose it's also possible that something happened at the groomers that didn't directly involve your dog but still upset it. For instance, I had a dog who really didn't like cats, and once, when I went into pick him up from the groomers, they had a towel draped over the front of his kennel. Turned out they'd had to groom a cat who was just not having it--hissing, trying to claw them etc.--and it really put my dog on edge because he could see the cat from his kennel. He didn't settle down until they blocked his view of the cat. Now, he wasn't upset afterwards, but he normally wasn't upset about being at the groomer at all--it was just that particular day that he found upsetting.

However, if you're having bad vibes about this groomer, and I can see why you might, you probably should look into the possibility of getting another groomer. If this one isn't bothering to return your phone calls, he/she isn't that interested in your business anyway. If I were you, I'd ask my vet or other dog owners I trusted about which area groomers they like.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I second finding an alternate groomer. This is someone that handles your dog a lot, you need to entrust this responsibility to someone you trust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.