Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all:
Simply put, we need to hire a pro to gentle an abused dog that came onto the place. Physical wounds have long healed, but has real issues. Collectively, my partner and I have better than 130 yrs worth of animal husbandry under our belts, if we were able to do it, I wouldn't be here.
Expenses & fee. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
In the event that you dog has bitten and drawn blood, your first port of call should be a vet visit, including a thyroid check. This is especially true if the aggression is sudden and out of character. After that, you need a qualified, reputable behaviourist who uses updated, positive reinforcement based methods. We may be able to advise methods before the situation escalates to a dog bite but not after; or suggest management strategies in the interim - but as a pre-cursor, not an alternative, to a behaviourist's assessment.

We take this policy because of the seriousness of the matter. If the dog bites another person, you could find yourself civily and/or criminally legally responsible. We simply cannot see the events surrounding the bite. We're not there, we are unable to intervene just before a bite happens, and as such, it would be the height of irresponsibility for members to attempt to advise you on ways to deal with such a serious issue on your own. Any posts advising you on ways to manage the situation yourself will be subject to moderation, including deletion

To locate a behaviorist/trainer, please visit.

Int. Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants

American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior

American College of Veterinary Behaviorists

The Certified Council of Pet Dog Trainers

Pet Professional Guild

1 - 4 of 4 Posts