Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I begin? 28 years ago we found a boxer mix that we believe was shepherd. We brought him home and named him Mr. Butkus. He was without question the best dog I have ever had or have ever known. He lived for 14 years when we had to put him down for cancer. That was 14 years ago. He helped raise my sons and would have given his life for them. He also had a sense of umer I swear he did!That was 14 years ago that we had to let him go. We still miss him more than any other soul we ever knew. We would love to find another boxer shepherd mix. Can anybody guide me?

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
206 Posts
Can't give any specific places or anything, but have you tried looking at local rescues, or on some of those pet adoption websites like petfinder? On those sites, you can search by breed.

Of course, if this is the breed that best suits your lifestyle, look for that breed mix.
But, a few warnings:
first: it's possible he had another breed mixed in that contributed more to his personality than the breeds that he manifested physically in his appearance. So maybe the personality traits you loved were from a totally different breed.
second: Every dog is an individual, and especially mixed breeds. Even if you got his brother, they would've been totally different. So looking for the breed mix could end up with you getting a dog totally different from your expectations

I'd encourage you to go to a rescue and find an individual with a personality (and energy level) you like, rather than looking for a specific breed mix.
Because, as I said, breed mix is not necessarily determinate of personality, and appearance is not necessarily indicative of actual breed mix

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't give any specific places or anything, but have you tried looking at local rescues, or on some of those pet adoption websites like petfinder? On those sites, you can search by breed.

Of course, if this is the breed that best suits your lifestyle, look for that breed mix.
But, a few warnings:
first: it's possible he had another breed mixed in that contributed more to his personality than the breeds that he manifested physically in his appearance. So maybe the personality traits you loved were from a totally different breed.
second: Every dog is an individual, and especially mixed breeds. Even if you got his brother, they would've been totally different. So looking for the breed mix could end up with you getting a dog totally different from your expectations

I'd encourage you to go to a rescue and find an individual with a personality (and energy level) you like, rather than looking for a specific breed mix.
Because, as I said, breed mix is not necessarily determinate of personality, and appearance is not necessarily indicative of actual breed mix
Thank you for answering so quickly. I've been searching those sites. We know we'll never find a Mr. Butkus. He was one in a billion. However we actually knew the mother and father. When we read the basic characteristics of the mix, it was spot on all the way down to the dog having a sense of humor! It was so accurate that my wife and I teared up when she read it out loud. We know we'll find him/ her. God will connect us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts