Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a dog and my parents are set on getting a dog from a breeder. they want a pure bred dog even though we will never show it or anything, it will just be a family dog. i want to rescue a dog, and i have looked online for local shelters. i can't find shelters close enough that my parents would agree to driving to that has a sweet dog that they would trust. what should i do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the dog would have to get along with our two cats, our other dog (she's a shih tzu), our four ducks, and my little brother who is five. our shih tzu is a wonderful dog and when our ducks were little, she treated them like they were babies. we've had some issues with random people coming to our house and wild animals such as bear, deer and raccoons. my parents want a large dog with a powerful bark and intimidating look that will scare things away.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tami! I see your still considering a rescue!! Have you looked for rescue groups in your area? There are private rescues groups that might be able to come to you. Also, alot if times these groups do have purebreeds in their programs. I'm thinking that if you and your parents are not "stuck" on a Dobe, y'all might want to look at a heardig breed of some form. Border collies are great with kids, cats and ducks. Big enough to give an intruder second thoughts, but they are hyper times 10! Lots of energy and extremely smart! There are also Aussies, and collies (Lassie!-I think Lassie was a Rough Coated Collie).
Also, just a note, Dobe's can have high prey drives and may not be good with ducks. Im not saying that they all are, but that is my only concern with your list.
Hope this helps you out!
GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Tami!

Have you tried searching on petfinder.com? There are over 100,000 dogs available for adoption from all over the states, and all different breeds and sizes. You can select the search criteria you are looking for.

REMEMBER also that just because the dog of your dreams is in another state, that is not necessarily an impediment. Many rescues have networks of volunteer drivers that drive animals across the country and even to Canada to get them safe and soundly to their new forever homes, or to other rescues.

Also, I am on several email lists that send out weekly emails regarding animals for adoption and their bios. Lately I have seen many dogs that may fit your family. Email me or pm me your email address if you wish and I can forward on to you said weekly newsletters with dogs available for adoption that may be perfect for your family.

Lastlty, I just want to say thank you for trying to persuade your family to adopt/rescue, and thank you for insisting on a dog whose ears and tails have not been cropped or docked! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just want to reiterate what others are saying. There are purebred dogs in shelters and rescue organizations all over the country, so if your parents want a purebred they can still rescue one. However, as a foster home-mom myself I think you need to be realistic about wanting a dog that will "be everything and do everything" you want from day one. Rescue dogs have issues. They can be worked through and make fabulous pets, but most do need time and work. -- of course, new puppies do too!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
My purebred Sheltie came from a sheltie rescue group. He's one of the herding group. You might check out Shelties aka Shetland Sheepdogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts