Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there! I'm new to the forum.
I was wondering if anybody would be able to help figure out what breed my dog Pinto is (most likely a mix).
My boyfriend and I have been between a few different breeds. For the longest time we had thought Jack Russel mix but after searching the internet, I'm beginning to think he may be more of either a Rat Terrier or a Toy Fox Terrier because of his personality and looks. His ears are remnant of a chihuahua, but he doesn't facially look like one to me. He is very lean and small and his chest protrudes. He has VERY fine fur and on his tummy it's so fine he is almost bald there. He has little spots as well.
To give a description of his temperament, he playful and loves to jump, but yet he is very calm and cuddly and he is not a barker at all. He will lay on the bed with us for hours. He is so smart, and can learn tricks in about 3 tries. He is also extremely submissive and has an excitement/submissive urination problem.

Thanks so much. :3 I'm definitely very interested because whenever people ask me I'm always like, "I'm not really sure!"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Now I know what to say when people ask me what breed he is! I'm wondering if specifically he is a Foxy Rat Terrier but for now I will go with "Rat Terrier Mix."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've thought about wisdom panel, but I've heard it isn't always accurate. :( For 80 dollars, I'm not sure it's worth it. I think we've definitely established a rat terrier dominance but everyone has said mix, so does anyone know what "mix" you think it would be? Maybe Toy Fox? I've seen foxy rat terriers and they look almost identical to him. I made him a little instagram if you want to see some more photos and videos of him: https://instagram.com/pintopet/

Thanks again for your feedback. :3

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thing is, fox terriers, rat terriers, jack russell terriers, parson terriers, etc are all breeds derived from a landrace of 'white terrier'.

Your dog may have ancestors (including recent ancestors) that were never part of any breed

Additionally, the Rat Terrier as a 'breed' was only recognized as a breed by the AKC 5 years ago, and was registered by the UKC only 15 years ago, but we've had the rat terrier type in this country for 100 years.

If you don't want to call it a Rat Terrier mix because that leaves open the question of 'what is it mixed with?' feel free to call it a Rat Terrier Type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts