Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm a 24 (soon 25) year old guy that never had any pets :/
I'm really interested in getting a ''big'' breed dog and I was looking through some and I found this one: http://www.inmedia.ba/wp-content/upl...71732514_n.jpg

Now, my question is: What breed is this? I would like to get this dog and it looks majestic

I'm unsure if it is one of the following: Bosnian Tornjak
St.Bernese
Pyrenean mastiff

Thanks

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't know if its just me but it says page not found when I clicked on the link.
-Side note, St. Bernese isn't a breed, I think what you were thinking of was either a Saint Bernard or a Berneses Mountain Dog.
Bosnian Tornjaks and Pyrenean mastiffs are not really recommended as good first time dogs, especially if you very little to no dog experience. They are big powerful guardian type dogs, and aren't really for the average owner. And as far as I know Bosnian tornjaks are pretty rare (not sure were your located so they might be more common were you are) and Pyrenean mastiffs are also not to common.
As for st. Bernards and bernese mountain dogs, I think those would be much better choices for a first time dog. They are much calmer and more people friendly then the above two. Don't forget though that these are big dogs, do you have enough home space for them? Are you prepared for drool especially in the saint bernards case? Even though they are calmer large breeds, are you prepared to handle a big powerfull dog? Are you going to get a puppy, and if so are you prepared to raise a puppy? Are there any other breeds you are interested in?
The other thing I wanted to add, please don't decide you to get a breed just because you like the looks of it. If you find a breed you like, do lots of research about them to make sure they will fit in with your life style and be something you can and are willing to handle. And when you do decide on a breed make sure you go through a reputable breeder. Breeders are also a great resource for learning about a breed as they have first hand experience with the breed and as a give in should be very knowledgeable about the breed in general. They can also help you figure out if you will be the right kind of owner/house for a particular breed.
A shelter dog would also be a great first time dog if your interested in that as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts