Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just now got this pit bull pup today from a relative. It's sleeping right now but I want to know how to get started on having him use the bathroom outside. Any steps I should take?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Basics:

1) take them out after every meal and every time they have a drink.
2) take them out when they start 'doing the dance' -sniffing around near corners
3) if you catch him pottying indoors, take him out and then praise
4) praise everytime he goes to the bathroom outdoors
5) never punish for going indoors-especially after the fact! If you catch him in the act-just take him outside. If you miss it, just clean it up really well.

Is this your first dog? Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's my third actually. My first was a dachshund that had to be put to sleep and then my second one was a German shepherd that die from accidentally eating a dead rat. It took me a while to get into that "I want a pet!" mood. I plan to take care of Eddie a lot better.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Basics:

1) take them out after every meal and every time they have a drink.
2) take them out when they start 'doing the dance' -sniffing around near corners
3) if you catch him pottying indoors, take him out and then praise
4) praise everytime he goes to the bathroom outdoors
5) never punish for going indoors-especially after the fact! If you catch him in the act-just take him outside. If you miss it, just clean it up really well.

Is this your first dog? Welcome to the forum!
mikey covered most of it i would like to add taking the pup out after any playtime, moving around can cause him to go also.

i would also like to second the welcome to the dog forum and demand that you post a pic of eddie:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts