Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I don't use mine as often anymore because if I want to give Riley more freedom I'll usually just let him off-leash. I do find it useful for places I'm unfamiliar with though. Like if we're checking out a new hiking spot, I won't let him off-leash until I know the area so I'll usually use the flexi so he can sniff and explore. I'm always paying attention to my surroundings though, and I'm definitely on higher alert than when he's on a nylon just because of that extra distance. I wouldn't use it if Riley didn't have excellent leash manners though, and I also can't see myself using it with a bigger/stronger dog.

I know it's a bit unconventional but I also found flexis amazing for when Riley was still nervous of people on walks. The only time Riley would ever pull was when he was scared. So when we would have to pass by people on our walks he would either halt or pull to the very end of the leash in order to avoid them. I found that using the flexi gave him that extra bit of freedom and made him feel more secure, because he it allowed him to arc around them without hitting the end of the leash so he didn't feel constrained and scared. Slowly that the arc around people got smaller and smaller until he was(/is) confident enough to walk straight passed strangers, bikes etc without a second thought. (Obviously it wasn't just the flexi that improved his confidence, but it helped.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.