Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband and I have two miniature schnauzers. One boy is 4.5 years old. Very well behaved, but he is a recovering leash reactive dog. He has made HUGE progress, but still has moments of relapse. However, he is not dog aggressive. He regularly goes to daycare and the dog park and has never once had an issue. It's just on leash that he sometimes puts on a big show of barking and lunging. Our second boy is 10 months old. He's a lovely little dog. Very sweet, confident, handler-focused, obedient.

Both boys have been through basic obedience, intermediate obedience, and are now in an advanced level class. I am training my younger boy towards becoming a therapy dog. We had an informal pre-evaluation done (since he's still too young) and the evaluator thought he would be excellent in therapy work.

My husband and I both work full time. I take the dogs for a 1-2 mile jog in the morning before work. The boys have a large kennel area in our basement (about 20' x 15') that they stay in while we are gone. They have beds, toys, water, etc. I come home at lunch for an hour and they run around the yard. I use a flirt pole to give them a good work out. After work, we either walk or go to the dog park. They also go to daycare a few times a month.

The breeder I got my boys from has a show dog that she will be retiring sometime in the next year. He is currently working towards several international titles. She is interested in placing him with us as a guardian home so she can keep him in her breeding program. I'm told he is a lovely dog and would do well as a therapy dog. He'll be around 2.5 years old and already has had a lot of training (housebreaking, leash manners, etc).

Here are the challenges I see...

Walking all three boys at once? Right now I'm still working on walking my two boys together nicely. They are both excellent at LLW individually, but somehow when I take both dogs on a walk that don't do as well.

Grooming. I groom both of my boys. In addition to their baths/haircuts, I spend a fair amount of time doing maintenance work such as brushing their coats, clipping nails, plucking ears, brushing teeth, etc etc etc.

Training. I take each boy to class once a week. Might be hard to do three nights a week. Although sometimes my husband comes and we take both boys on one night.

Traveling. Most vacation rentals/hotels have a 2 dog limit. We like bringing our dogs with us.

Cost is not a big concern. We can comfortably afford the dogs and I have a doggie emergency savings account should some major issue arise.

I would love to hear your thoughts, especially from people with 3+ dogs and people work work full time.

Am I nuts to consider this? Is there a big difference between 2 and 3 dogs?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have three dogs and like it that way. Handling two dogs is easier, but for me it's worth it putting that little bit of extra effort into three. Traveling will be harder, but there are places out there that will work with you. Especially if you've stayed with them before. I've given up traveling, which I don't mind too much. I like staying home. Maybe think about getting a small RV or trailer, then you always have somewhere to sleep if you do travel. The care is really not that different.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have three dogs and like it that way. Handling two dogs is easier, but for me it's worth it putting that little bit of extra effort into three. Traveling will be harder, but there are places out there that will work with you. Especially if you've stayed with them before. I've given up traveling, which I don't mind too much. I like staying home. Maybe think about getting a small RV or trailer, then you always have somewhere to sleep if you do travel. The care is really not that different.
Thanks for your response. We have considered an RV for vacations, visiting family, etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 3 dogs as well, and I don't find it that difficult. I have a pretty strict routine and everyone knows there place and how things work, so it's really pretty smooth. It's takes adjustment at first of course, but it's not too much harder than 2 dogs for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It sounds like you'll be perfectly capable of effectively caring for another dog, there needs to be more dog owners like you that actually think of everything before getting another dog.

Do you and your husband go for walks together? If so, you can walk two, and he could walk one or vice versa until you're versed in their walking habits together.

I would absolutely love another dog but sadly do not have the space. I always wonder about people with multiple dogs, do you ever have trouble showing favoritism or do you love them equally?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's responses.

I waver back and forth daily on wether we should take the plunge. If I wasn't working full time, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Part of me feels that I should continue investing all of my (limited) time and energy into the two dogs I already have to improve their obedience, focus, impulse control, etc. Plus I hope to get these guys involved in therapy work and agility.

I'll have to keep thinking.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Would it be possible to have it like a trial period for 2-3 weeks? If the breeder is a good one, they will have no issues with that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it be possible to have it like a trial period for 2-3 weeks? If the breeder is a good one, they will have no issues with that.
That's a great idea. I think she would definitely be open to that.

This just feels like such a great opportunity to get a fantastic dog. I don't think I would be considering it otherwise.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That's a great idea. I think she would definitely be open to that.

This just feels like such a great opportunity to get a fantastic dog. I don't think I would be considering it otherwise.
That's great. Just make sure to have him with you for a while to really get a good feeling of how things will be. It will also let you see his true colours once the "honeymoon" period is over.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
We know folks that have three dogs. If you are willing to put in the time and energy and can handle the expense, acquiring the third dog is something you absolutely should do. As far as traveling, we go by RV even with one dog, but know several RV'ers that have two and three dogs, traveling in an RV is certainly a viable way to travel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're sure that this is what you want, you'll find a way to deal with the 3 instead of the 2. Will be it extra work and headache sometimes? Sure. But you probably already know deep down whether or not you're willing to take on that added responsibility. So just go with your gut, if you can provide a happy, healthy home for 3 dogs, then whose to stop you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts