Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are complete newbies when it comes to dogs, and we've just adopted a two-year-old five days ago.

I figure we should start with the basics--walking the dog on a leash.

Interestingly, she sometimes refuses to walk without my wife coming along.

I am including a video with my 13-year-old son walking the dog in a residential neighborhood. River doesn't always want to go where we need her to go, and beside using verbal cues and tugging on the leash, we don't know a better way to guide her.

I welcome any critique. We strive to be better owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
She is walking quite nicely. The only thing is, rather than tugging the leash which might be uncomfortable and make walks less appealing, you could try luring her with something like a lovely treat or toy.

Another thing might be that particular harness. The strap across the chest (making a shape like H rather than Y between her legs) can be a little restrictive to free movement.

Have a look at this - https://m.facebook.com/notes/tierphysiotherapie-brigitte-jost/reflections-on-chest-harnesses/1369929759778331/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took her to our local dog beach for the first time. I don't know whether she has ever seen the ocean before, but she wasn't too overwhelmed by the sand and the waves.

She looked pretty calm amidst all the other off-leash dogs too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts