Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So obviously we're nowhere near this yet, but I was wondering how you walk multiple dogs together on your own?

I'll be waiting for them to consistently interact calmly together and for Doppler to learn how to walk (he flops against his harness). Aside from having a friend help (we were 2 people in between them, each with a dog on the outside) for practice, how to you deal with situations like more dogs on the sidewalk than there are room for, just getting through small crowds of people who block intersections, etc? What about calling them off when they suddenly decide everything is too much because a squirrel just bonked one of them in the nose and they both go nuts (seriously, squirrels are crazy)?

Also, any leashes you prefer or setups that work best? I love my smoothy pooch leash (around the waist so that any pulling doesn't knock me over) but two may be weird to pull off. Pulling forward is typically both of their current stress responses on walks at the moment. Doppler also has a tendency to spin in circles when he's stressed, so we'll be working on that (its better already) but if he starts spinning are there any preventative measures I can take aside from training? Training won't cover a vast amount of situations as we'll be back downtown, so although both have lived downtown walking with another dog will be new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The most I've walked is three and only when dog sitting. Also, I was once dragged across the lawn on my bum, so take my advice with a grain of salt, lol.

I found a head halter to be helpful for preventing any...incidents. Also helps to train loose leash walking separately for each dog. Playing red light green light with multiple dogs is not very effective, ha-ha.

The leashes that let you attach multiple dogs are not very helpful in my limited experience. I found it too hard to control them.

As for positioning, I like one dog on each side. With three, I would put one in front. Ifbthe dogs decide to freak, the leashes tend to get tangled and I don't know a good solution for that. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can walk my three together, but it's taken time to teach them to walk well alone too. I've used a coupler, I don't now because I use a head collar for my dane. But couplers can be very helpful. If you have two dogs, about the same size, one pulls some and one walks well the coupler helps to take the strain off you and puts some onto the other dog. I've found that it slows down the puller. The biggest problem now is that my basset is slow so I have one arm behind me the the other in front. It's a bit awkward. I actually found it really helpful to take one leash and loop it through the handle of another leash. Then you only have to hold onto one leash but have control of two. I've also tied two leashes together about halfway down, pretty much like a coupler. The key really is to have dogs that walk well alone, then you can work on getting them to walk well together.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I can walk my three together without chaos, but it did take practice and teaching them each alone. Once they all walked on a loose leash quietly, I started practicing all 3 in the yard. A first I had to deal with them essentially trying to race each other to be in the lead. I quickly nixed that and now they all walk well.

I have found a coupler to be very handy, as three leashes is just too confusing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm a dog walker and I walk 4 at once. Baring in mind none of them are my dogs and apparently teaching loose lead walking isn't a thing with any of my clients haha

I use a walking belt and use caribiners to clip then to me and do what I can to teach a little LLW. I walk the dogs for an hour off lead so each dog will get a little 5 minute session working on it. Makes my job much easier.

I keep treats in both pockets, to direct the dogs when I need to when going through crowds etc

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Registered
69 Posts
Loose leash isn't very common thing people teach their dogs I'm finding. I do a little DogVacay boarding and sitting and I tell you. Some these pups can be a handful. If my mastiffs behaved like some of my clients dogs they'd have ripped my arms off and dragged me down the street after random critters lol. I enjoy the challenge of handling new dogs with different personalities though.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Loose leash isn't very common thing people teach their dogs I'm finding. I do a little DogVacay boarding and sitting and I tell you. Some these pups can be a handful. If my mastiffs behaved like some of my clients dogs they'd have ripped my arms off and dragged me down the street after random critters lol. I enjoy the challenge of handling new dogs with different personalities though.
Tell me about it. I board dogs aswell and it never fails to amaze me to basic stuff people don't teach their dogs, my Buster is over here doing back flips(not really haha) on command but my boarders don't know to go to their bed/mat/place.

Haven't had any boarding for a while now that we're out of the summer, but next year I'm being super picky with who I board

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's a picture of my living room currently lol. Closest to the camera and starting from the left there is Bo Hunter a 9yo German shorthaired x. Then there is Chase not sure maybe bully / lab? He is 1.5yo. He arrived today this will be his 4th stay and he'll be with me until the 15th. Then Roxy my 10mo EM. The mini aussie shepherd is Mitzi, 1yo. Then the big fawn EM is Hank, 3yo.

Bo is very defensive and doesn't like energetic dogs because of his hip dysplasia. He is used to being allowed to walk his own pace and lead the walks because of his condition.

Chase when he first stayed with me was totally wild and had no off switch and would pull you wherever he wanted to go. He's since learned to walk a loose lead in low/moderate distraction areas. He is aptly named though, he will chase anything willing to run away from him lol. He is a "place" pro.

Mitzi I don't believe has ever been walked on a leash. They typically carry her around, when put on a leash she thrashes about until her collar unclips lol. She is totally a lover and a lap dog.

All 3 suffer from varying degrees of SA. I'm not too picky with my clients. I take all but the most aggressive based on my own evaluations. Chase started off as a resource guarder. He would try and attack Hank to take over his food bowl. He is no longer on the attack and I can take his bowl from him without incident.

I can walk my two on leash together with little to no incident depending on the environment. All the others? Couldn't do it lol.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
@EverythingEnglishMastiff wow so many! I can only board 1 at a time or 2 from the same household at the moment. Cause I'm out walking other clients during the day it wouldn't be fair on the ones in the house but I can take one along with me for the day :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I used to walk multiple dogs at a shelter when I was in high school I actually found it was easier to walk 4 dogs than two because you could sort of sandwich the most difficult ones in between the others. My trick was to put my hand through the loops of the leashes and then wrap it once around my wrist and grab at the point where they would all be walking side by side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts