Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has started laying down whenever we went on certain roads and doesn't want to go out on certain time too. She started to be reluctant to walk on certain roads in the beginning but she got over it really fast but this last month it came up again and it is worse then before. In the beginning she was reluctant in small parts of the roads but this last week she is becoming a lot worse. It's to the point where she only goes on 1 road without me dragging her and when I do drag her to 1 point she lays down until I walk on a certain road that is connected to her 1 road. That 1 road is not enough exercises, it's just a 10 minute walk there and back. And when she does feel like walking on different road she suddenly doesn't want to walk on that road anymore so I walk back but she also doesn't want to walk back. She just lay there not walking either way so I would have to carry her halfway down the street and then she would walk. She is not a lightweight dog and also people give me strange stares like I'm kidnapping the dog

·
Registered
455 Posts
How strange. Have you considered bringing treats to try and lure her along? My dog will occasionally lay down on walks if she's getting overheated, but this doesn't sound like the case here. I would try the treats for now, start by giving her one every few feet or however often it takes, then decreasing the frequency of them. Hopefully that works. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is it hot out? If you're walking on pavement, that can be very hard on a dogs pads. The rule there is, if *you* wouldn't walk on a surface in bare feet, your dog does not want to either. If heat is the problem, you can try musher's secret, which should help.

Another problem might be joint pain, maybe. How old is she? But you mention that this is happening only on certain roads, so perhaps there's something on the surface of the road that is irritating her feet? Is she in otherwise good health and weight?

Are you keeping up a positive mood? Dogs pick up EXTREMELY well on frustration and anger (since you mention 'dragging' her...:(), which may also contribute to her laxity if the problem is not something health related. A positive attitude and encouragement go a long way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the beginning I would bring treats with me but she would not come at all even though she loves food. I also thought that maybe she was overheating or just tired so every 10-15mins I would find a cool shaded area for her to rest. I also walk her when it is around the sunset and night time so it wouldn't be too hot with the sun shining on her and I bring a water bottle with me in case she is dehydrated. So I went on to another thought that maybe it was due to her paws, so I would make her walk on the grassed area or we would walk on the field but she would still not budge when we walk to certain areas.
She is in the normal weight and also in good health. She would be turning 7 in 9 months.
I don't think it is joint pain since there are days she would be fine with walking and running in the dog park.
In the first 10 minute I am patient with her and very encouraging but after 10 minutes of me staring at her and her not even thinking of wanting to move from her spot I get impatient. In the first couple of minute I would be encouraging her to keep on walking but she would not budge so I resorted to bribing her with food and toys but she would not budge so I would stare at her until I become impatient and start dragging her while running. That is only if she is in her stubborn stage and not the very stubborn stage, that is when I have to carry her

·
Registered
562 Posts
I feel bad for your poor dog. I know you're trying, but please try to be more patient with her. It's clear that she's having some kind of difficulty with these areas where she doesn't feel comfortable walking any more, but our lacking human senses may not be able to figure out what the problem is. You did mention that you take breaks periodically, but have you tried just resting when she rests and waiting for her to get up? If it's not in a very safe or uncomfortable place, maybe resting further off the road under a tree or similar?

Is it only in these particular areas that she has difficulty? Are there inclines or other difficult terrain? It could very well be joints, as like older humans, there are days when joint pain is better than others. A 7 year old dog is no spring chicken. :) Arthritis is a painful thing (trust me, I know!), but supplements definitely help, if she is not taking any already, and they're very easy to dispense.

There's a two-bottle pack of this stuff at Walmart, at triple strength for about $30, which comes to 340 pills. At 700 mg glucosamine & 600 mg chondroitin per pill, this should last you for a little while, depending on how many she may need to take per day, and it's best to take them every 12 hours or so. The human formulation is perfectly fine to give to your dog, and the triple strength is the best value. Give it a try for 2 or 3 weeks, some pills in cheese or something in the morning, and then another dose for her supper, and see if it doesn't make a difference.

EDIT: I wanted to add too that my hubby also goes so far as to massage one of our dogs to help him "get in the game" some days though I think he does it because Tiger enjoys it so much too. When your girl feels the need to take one of her impromptu breaks (or you could try it beforehand at home), try to get her into a more comfortable area and gently massage her hips and legs and see if that helps her also. It's very relaxing for the dog and I'm sure she'll feel much happier for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I am insensitive towards my dog but I seriously do not get it. In the beginning she really like going to a different field but suddenly she stopped wanting to go there from a certain direction. So I would have to go around the field and come in from the other side even though it was an open field. She was totally fine with walking from the other side of the field back to the side she was not wanting to go in from.
If I wait for her to get up on her own it would be never, she would be laying there until I move.
All the road are all the same. It is just a regular residential area that doesn't have any harsh roads and most of this days I bring her to the field. When she is being stubborn she doesn't walk any other direction except from that 1 roads she walks on. She doesn't even let me walk to the other side of the sidewalk, she has to walk on that particular sidewalk. And also most of the places I bring her to she has been to a lot of times plus sometime I bring my dog out to those road couple of hours before and she would have been fine but when I bring her back she would just lay down.
And I also did a full check up on my dog around April and my vet said my dog was in good health so I never really thought much about supplement. Maybe I'll try it
I do give my dog daily massages since she loves it so much

I mean 3 months before she turns 7

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh dear, I certainly did not mean to suggest you are at all insensitive, I don't think that's at all the case. You even massage your dog, which is wonderful! It's the rare person who does not feel some aggravation when a dog's behavior seems inexplicable. Of course, we know it's not being done solely to upset you, as dogs don't think like people do. Based on your dogs recent habits, we can only assume that it's one (or more?) of these things:

A) She smells/hears/senses something she wants to avoid by approaching the destination from a different route, and if she cannot avoid it, she lies down.

B) There is some OCD behavior/psychological reaction developing based on the daily walk usually ending in stress and frustration for you, which is in turn communicated to her; the compulsive behavior/reaction for her resulting in her just lying down.

C) She is in pain, and when it gets too bad, she lies down. She may or may not be walking differently; some dogs show pain more than others.

I can only suggest that you try the joint supplements to eliminate one possibility. And at her age, she can only benefit from it, as most kibble does not contain sufficient vitamins and minerals to really aid a middle age/elder dog's joints.

That, and just let her choose her route, as you're already doing, and to try your hardest to not display frustration if/when she eventually lies down suddenly. Sit with her, pet and speak to her in comforting tones. Ask her questions and massage her. See if you can get her attention every few minutes and gauge her well being. There's clearly something amiss and because we don't understand with any certainty what it is, this can only break up your current routine by not ending your walks in anger or irritation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.