Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A couple nights ago my dog pulled out of her collar. She has a small head and was quickly able to wiggle it off before I could get a hand around her. Luckily we have been doing training and she did come when called.

But we often walk near busy streets, so I didn't want to take any chances and headed to Petsmart where I asked for help with a harness for a dog that will try to wiggle out when she really wants something. This is the ones that was recommended.

We took a couple walks in it and she seemed good. Then we went for our weekend hike, and like a pro slipped it right off! I tighten it more and readjusted, but she slipped out again when she wanted to stay where she was.

She is too smart for her own good, so now I'm walking her really carefully to ensure I don't allow her to get behind me and pull back because I'm worried she will learn that she can get out whenever she wants. We don't have a yard, so she has to be allowed to smell and wander to go potty. And can't always be called into heel or she thinks we are training and forgets to go.

Does anyone have a harness recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Kathryn

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Is that for only female dogs? I'd be worried about the last strap trapping his privates! :eek:

If the dog is not an oddly shaped one, like my boy is, the harness should fit fine.

My boy is shaped odd, he has a wide chest, and thick neck, for such a little dog, so the size I had to get to fit his neck and chest was to long on him and the webmaster's last strap was rubbing right against his penis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I should have added pictures.

She is a 16 pound Terrier Mix. And she has a large chest, which seems to be why she could get her legs out easily. As with a lot of small dogs she has a bigger neck at the base than at her ears.

Normally she walks really well on a leash and doesn't pull, but we have feral cats in our neighborhood and they bring out her escape behavior.

Thanks for the suggestions already!

Kathryn

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ooh, that looks like a yucky ill-fitting harness (sorry). The girth strap is far too close to her armpits too.

Any of the ones suggested would be way better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
All these harnesses are the same kind that she tried.

You could try an easy walk harness Easy Walk® Harness Its easy to put on and it pulls from the front and what a lot of people do is clip the harness to the collar. That way the dog can't get out if its an escape artist. They do come in all different sizes. I personally have one and i like it. But its used differently then you need.

Some one i know has a harness like this, easy to use and easy to tighten. The part about hers is there is padding underneath the armpits. http://www.fivebarkingdogs.com/Harness-Lead-Stops-Pulling-Now-in-5-Colors-2-Sizes_p_626.html

This is what the 3 strap harness looks like. This is a Shiba inu. Not sure your breed, it may fit different.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/91757281/no-escape-harness-custom-designed-by-you

You could also try a martingale collar. Fit correctly the dog can't slip out.
How to Properly Use a Martingale Collar | eBay

Here is a picture of 2 i made for my dogs :)

I hope this helps :)

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
All these harnesses are the same kind that she tried.

You could try an easy walk harness Easy Walk® Harness Its easy to put on and it pulls from the front and what a lot of people do is clip the harness to the collar. That way the dog can't get out if its an escape artist. They do come in all different sizes. I personally have one and i like it. But its used differently then you need.
No, they are not the same kind of harness, she has a step-in harness, the ones I posted are different, they are Y-shaped or H-shaped/Roman harnesses.

As for the Easy Walk harness, the ones I posted are far superior, IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooh, that looks like a yucky ill-fitting harness (sorry). The girth strap is far too close to her armpits too.
Gnostic,

Thanks for the suggestions, and don't feel bad calling out a bad fit. I walked out of the store thinking it didn't look right, but I haven't used a harness before so what do I know, right?

We went out looking last night and came home with the Ruffwear Front Range. It seems to fit much better and leaves room between the harness and her armpits even if it slides a little forward.

For a dog that wiggles out I would definitely recommend the Ruffwear Webmaster. A lot of people who have dogs that free themselves say this harness is a godsend.
I am also ordering a Webmaster, since it wasn't in store anywhere near me. I think the back strap will be really helpful to keep the harness from slipping forward since her chest is very large and she has such slender legs.

We will test with both and if neither work out, then I'll move onto some of the other suggestions.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Kathryn

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I have a Front Range that I use on my aussie and really like it. He has slipped out of it once, but I think that may have had a bunch of variables attributed to it (slightly too loose, clipped in the front, high stress situation, etc).

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I must find photos of Jessie wearing her harness but when its on at the back it looks H shaped fastens at the neck with a clip and right leg has to go through then it goes under the leg/body and clips into place. She has got her leg out of it but not the rest of her!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
here is a picture of the back of Jessies harness will get a front pic for you or see if i can find one. This was taken when she was sniffing on the way to the groomer she lets cut her nails :eyeroll: and the only one too.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts