Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bodie is 20 weeks now and I've been working on loose leash walking with him, but I'm starting to despair! We spent 2-3 weeks just walking around the garden, with treats if he walked without pulling, standing still if he did pull, etc and it worked brilliantly. He trotted along beside me, looking up at me waiting for the next treat. I then moved out to our quiet country lane with pretty good results, v little pulling and good LLW. The trouble is that if we meet another person, dog, animal of any kind etc he just gets so excited, and the rest of the walk goes rapidly downhill. It's like he's bursting out of his skin. :eyeroll: I love the fact that he's so friendly and loves to meet everyone, but I'd love to be able to take him places for walks and not have to restrain him so much whenever he sees someone! It's like he's under a spell and no amount of treats will snap him out of it.

Is this just a puppy phase? Will he eventually just chill out and grow out of it? I'd be concerned that if I limit his walks too much to calm areas, he'll continue to be totally excited if I take him anywhere else. I'm wondering if he'll just get blasé eventually if I keep taking him to busy / stimulating areas.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
C.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He is a young dog and it sounds like some socialization training is in order :) Remember dogs are poor generalizers (for example just because a dog can "sit" at home doesn't mean he will "sit" at a relatives house.) they don't know how to transfer an underdeveloped cue to pertain to multiple situations, so its our job to teach them!
I would start with exposing him to just SLIGHTLY more stimulating places other then home and begin from there. places such as parks or hike and bike trails early in the morning or later in the evening (once peak hours are over) would be best. From there I would focus on a brisk 20 minute walk through, don't focus on the dog otherwise you may become frustrated just walk as quickly as you can for 20 minutes and get some of that energy down.
From there I would start working on some desensitization and counterconditioning.
Find a willing participant (Dog or human, sounds like is fairly excited to meet both) and find the amount of distance you need to put between the dog and whatever is making him excited and work from there. if he is jumping, barking, or excessively panting then you are going to need to increase the amount of space from there. use this as a game, and just like other cues we are teaching our dogs practice makes perfect. keep the rule "four paws on the floor" at all times when approaching the dog/human. IF YOUR DOG cannot walk politely up to the other dog just give a friendly too bad and go back to your original starting point. no collar corrections or anything like that we want to positively reinforce the good behavior with the attention of the desired human/dog so we want to give our dog the optimal amount of chances to try try and try again until they can do it correctly.
if this is a major issue bring a friend in for help. start at home then progress into more and more stimulating areas. also keep in mind that the leash causes some pent us frustration especially if we are using a flat collar so a front facing harness that takes some of the pressure off of the neck and puts it onto the front of the chest may work much better for your training. I would NOT recommend a harness that attaches from the back as you may just be conditioning the dog to pull even more.
Best of luck on all of your training adventures! it sounds like your dog has a great owner who cares enough to ask the right questions!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ringo is the same. I'm very happy with our LLW except when there is a person or a dog. This happened to us at a dog food store where he remained very excited after meeting another dog. We just retreated to a distance where he could be calm, ran through some obedience exercises, and then tried again. Sometimes it takes a few tries but he does catch on. Yesterday we finally had a breakthrough at Petsmart where Ringo approached someone and sat down right in front of him waiting for attention. Then, today, I took him to the neighbor's house where there were kids running around and it took a few tries (and the cooperation of the kids) to have all "four on the floor" while saying hello.

Also, sometimes we go to the park with the intention of just people-watching. We don't say hi to anyone, just watch and get lots of yummy treats for sitting and being calm around people and noises. The PP had lots of great advice and I'm sure Bodie will learn in no time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Raise The Wolf and Linzydd, lots of good advice. I think I might try your park idea tomorrow Linzydd.. Sounds like something that might have an effect on him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts