Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 11 week old lab mix barks at night to get out of her crate and I take her to her potty spot, but all she wants to do is play. After trying exhaustively to get her to go without success, I bring her in and put her back in her crate. After about 10 minutes of barking, she finally falls asleep. I make sure not to play with her at night as well. Last night, she woke me up at 1:00 and 3:00 and finally at 5:30(which is the only time she actually went potty). How do I know if she's waking me up to go or just to play and how do I get the message across that she can only come out if she means business?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You don't.
That's the fun with dogs - but as long as you remain consistent that barking at night will only bring her out to potty and then she'll be back in the crate - and that it's not fun time, she'll learn to sleep at night and expect play during the day.

I would also try to wear her out just before bedtime with a toy-based training session, where the toy is the reward. Exercising her mind AND body may help her to sleep just a little longer instead of barking out of boredom.

Just keep taking her potty, reward for the go, and then put her back in crate at night when she wakes you. She'll figure it out eventually that it's not play time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts