Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Rescue dog from the shelter, received her first 5 in 1 on 3/23 when she was a pup (guessing 8 weeks old). For various reasons, she didn't get another until 5/5. Because this was 6 weeks after the first, the plan was for this to be the first of three, basically ignoring the first one from 3/23.

However, someone taught me how to administer the injection, but I messed up by not putting the needle in at first and wasting about 1/3, possibly up to 1/2, of the volume of the injection. She's only 4 pounds now so I thought this would still be enough (I could feel the pocket of vaccine under her skin so I know a decent amount got in). Our friend who taught us thought that since we'd wasted some, we should scratch that one too and start again a week later from the beginning, with three more.

It's been a week now, and I'm wondering if, since she's so small, the one we gave last week will suffice, and we should just wait two more weeks, give a vaccine, and wait three weeks from then, and give her the last one.

I know some people are going to wonder if I should have done this myself, and I know not everyone will agree with it ... but I am involved with a number of dog non-profits and have had good tutelage. Thanks!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hi,

Rescue dog from the shelter, received her first 5 in 1 on 3/23 when she was a pup (guessing 8 weeks old). For various reasons, she didn't get another until 5/5. Because this was 6 weeks after the first, the plan was for this to be the first of three, basically ignoring the first one from 3/23.

However, someone taught me how to administer the injection, but I messed up by not putting the needle in at first and wasting about 1/3, possibly up to 1/2, of the volume of the injection. She's only 4 pounds now so I thought this would still be enough (I could feel the pocket of vaccine under her skin so I know a decent amount got in). Our friend who taught us thought that since we'd wasted some, we should scratch that one too and start again a week later from the beginning, with three more.

It's been a week now, and I'm wondering if, since she's so small, the one we gave last week will suffice, and we should just wait two more weeks, give a vaccine, and wait three weeks from then, and give her the last one.

I know some people are going to wonder if I should have done this myself, and I know not everyone will agree with it ... but I am involved with a number of dog non-profits and have had good tutelage. Thanks!

Thanks for your help!
The issue with the vaccines you give yourself is that you don't know how they were kept. Vaccines have to be handled appropriately....They have to be shipped at a certain temperature, upon receiving the shipment they must immediately be put into the fridge, the fridge has to be kept at a stable temperature. Feed stores, they don't always do that and that makes them an untrustworthy source. And if you buy from the feed store and take the vaccine home in your hot car, you're risking the efficacy of the vaccine even more.

I'm a vet tech and we have had plenty of dogs that were owner vaccinated come down with parvo because the vaccine failed. And there's nothing you can do. For the reasons above, vaccine companies don't guarantee the efficacy of their vaccines unless they were given by a licensed vet. If it's a dog that WE vaccinate, we are able to contact the vaccine manufacturer and get more info, and the company will usually help pay for treatment (which can get up in the thousands). But they don't guarantee vaccines that they ship to feed stores just because failure is generally handling related.

As far as the issue with the dog only getting half the vaccine, it's probably fine. There is actually controversy amongst some medical professionals who believe that the standard amount is way too much for a dog that tiny. Over vaccinating is an issue that should be avoided. One of our more vaccine-savvy vets will only administer half the amount or so to dogs of that size.

The bigger issue to me is, like I said, the source of your vaccines.

My personal advice to you would be to just schedule an appointment with the vet and start from scratch. They probably won't recognize the vaccine you gave anyway. The standard recommendation for vaccine schedule is one every 3 weeks until the puppy is 16 weeks. At that point, the pup can get the rabies and any other optional vaccines. Then boosters at one year for rabies and the parvo combo, and then once every 3 years after that.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
How old is the puppy? I got Kris, my Doberman, at 11 weeks old and she had no shots so she had one then, and the next a month later. She will not get another until a year from the second shot. The reason they are given in a series is that quite often the first shot does not work because they still have immunity from the mother so you follow up with the next two just to be sure. I do not see why your puppy (depending on it's age) would need another series of three but check with your Vet.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Over vaccination is responsible for so may things I truly think that you should leave this to someone with a vet degree.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered my vaccines from the same company for years. They come to me packed in containers that are kept cold and sent overnight mail. In an emergency I do buy from the local feed store. They have a separate fridge unit for vaccines only. The temp is checked several times a day. Also, I live in an area that is extremely parvo prevalent. No pups or adult dogs go outside until all vaccines have been given. Sadly I have to be paranoid about it. Before a person can walk into my house they dip the soles of their shoes in a tray of bleach water or leave their shoes outside. Parvo is so bad here and so many people don't vaccinate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only two cents I'll add because I don't think you should be doing vaccines yourself is that you should NOT re-vaccinate in a week because the immune system will still be reacting to the vaccine you already gave and won't respond appropriately to the next one. You should wait a minimum of 2 weeks, three preferable (so your friend is giving you inappropriate advice unfortunately).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. Here's what I've decided:

I'm going to write off the first vaccine from 7 weeks ago, but count the one from last week. A worker at a clinic told me with a dog that small, over half of a dose will be more than enough. She said sometimes her vet gives less than the full amount to very small dogs, in fact.

Given that, I'll wait another two weeks or so, let the clinic give her the second one, and then the three weeks after that the third. She also said they need four, but maybe when she hears about the first one from the shelter she'll be OK ending after three.

Sound good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts