Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very afraid for my dog. He's been vomiting on and off for a month now. We first thought it might be something he ate - so altered his diet down to just the basics.

After two weeks, we took him to the vet. She did blood tests and xray (neither showed anything) then prescribed bland diet, an antacid (Femotidine) and an anti-nausia (Cerenia). The vomiting stopped for for 7 days, but towards the last few days he had gone almost 48 hours without a bowel movement. He ate the boiled chicken OK, but could not eat boiled rice (allergies) and didn't like the pumpkin - so he was not getting any fiber.
Back to vet who said just start feeding him his normal food. We did and within 2 days he was vomiting again.

Because it was Christmas and the vet could not see him, we went to another vet who was open. He prescribed another 4 days of Cerenia, but Finn still isn't holding down his food. Went back to the second vet yesterday - he wanted to do a wider panel on a new set of blood tests and sent the other vets xrays to a radiologist. Depending on the results - next step is ultrasound.

We are awaiting the results, but I don't know what to expect. I am so worried for him. Poor little guy is so hungry.

If anyone has gone through something like this - I would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Laco. We are awaiting the results (expected today) from the radiologist review of his x-ray. If the radiologist can't get enough information - they will do an ultrasound.

I'm just hoping we can finally get some definitive diagnosis so we can start getting him better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Yes a specialist would be your best bet. Here is a link to another condition which causes what seems like vomiting but is actually regurgitation:

veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/recognizing-and-treating-esophageal-disorders-dogs-and-cats

The vet I work for adopted a greyhound puppy who was diagnosis with this.
Just food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for weighing in. Much appreciated.

We got the second set of blood test results from our vet this afternoon as well as the radiologist's report. Blood results were all fine again.

The report did state that "The esophagus and the trachea are radiographically normal" and "At this stage, no radiographic lesion is identified to recommend surgical or endoscopic intervention"

To rule out any of the areas of the x-ray that lacked sufficient detail - we are having an ultrasound done tomorrow afternoon.

Oh ....and his breakfast stayed down. Fingers crossed the small meal he just had will also get digested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
One of my dogs did a similar thing. Every time I'd put her on dog food she'd get sick. I switched her food, it seems, a hundred times. When she ate home-made people food she was better.
Try looking for a food that has "LIMITED INGREDIENTS". There are some fairly new preservatives out there that affect dogs and people too. The vets and doctors diagnose them with IBD or IBS and so on, when it's something in the processed food that causes the issues. My dog went down to a rack of bones, from constant vomiting and diarrhea. I considered putting her down, because she was literally starving, before I figured it out. Now she's on Orijen. It's very expensive, but cheaper than running to the vet all the time. Good luck and I hope you find a solution. One other thing you might rule out is EPI. That can hit a dog at any age, even if they've been healthy all their lives. Please keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the results of the ultrasound on Sunday. No blockage, foreign objects or other masses. Dr. feels confident it is not food related and that he has gastroparesis. He is on new medications, one for acid reduction and one to improve stomach emptying.

We had been feeding him limited ingredient Wellness 96% turkey (basically turkey and water) canned food, but it is not nutritionally sufficient without kibble and I'm just not ready to add that back in yet. Vet gave us some Royal Canin Gastrointestinal (available from vets only) which is nutritionally complete including vitamins. Vomiting entire meals has decreased somewhat, but we've been up with him several times in the last 2 nights with diarrhea.

Apparently it takes a bit of time for the meds to work - vet said to give it a week. I so hope this works.

I appreciate your advice Koby and will look into the Orijen kibble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
One other thing, if you do switch to Orijen, it's higher in fat and protein than other foods. You should switch very slowly. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
Feed only small quantities, multiple times during the day. You should consider all fresh food, which he might find easier to process. Any processed food, is at an immediate disadvantage as far as digestibility. We feed ours all fresh, and just throw a few kibble in so she has something to crunch on.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top