Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I have been all over the internet to try and find an answer for what is wrong with our eldest dog. Todd is an 11-12 year old Lab/possibly Malamute mix. While he has been slowing down a bit with his old age, he has been relatively good health-wise.

He has, however, recently started vomiting. He vomited up all of his food late Wednesday afternoon, so we rushed him down to our local vet. (My dog was poisoned with antifreeze just three weeks ago and did not make it, so we were deathly afraid Todd may had somehow gotten antifreeze poisoning as well.) They ran blood work and did a test for antifreeze crystals in his urine. Blood work was normal except for his protein levels were slightly elevated, as well as his MCH and MCHC levels. The vet didn't seem too worried about those and treated him for nausea and told us to feed Todd just chicken and white rice for a few days. (Our vet also felt Todd for any possible masses in his gut, but she didn't feel any. Todd didn't show any signs of pain or discomfort, either.)

This evening we mixed in a little bit of Todd's normal dog food with the chicken and rice. He did not eat his full meal, which is nearly unheard of for him. Later my mom offered him a graham cracker (regular kind) as a treat, but Todd who, again, has an enormous appetite, didn't want it. Well, he wanted it, but he wouldn't/couldn't eat it. I broke it down into a very tiny piece and he did eat that. I checked his teeth to see if there might be a problem there, but from what I could see, his gums and teeth didn't look bad. (Of course, I'm not a vet so I can say for sure.)

A few hours later, Todd vomited up his entire dinner (all undigested again), and I noticed (this is gross, but an important symptom) that when he tried to use the bathroom, his poop was basically a liquid and he wasn't able to really go much. If not wanting to go outside and just stare off into the woods, Todd is being more lethargic than normal.

I'm looking for any possible explanation for what could be wrong? If Todd continues to get worse, we will definitely take him to the vet when we wake up in the morning. Also, any advice in general on senior dog care would be good.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
It could be a number of things causing him to be nauseated and vomit.

I can just tell you personally what I'd do and what I've done in the past. I'd fast him for a minimum of 12, preferably 24 hours, offer water during the fast and if he throws that up then it's time to get him to the vet in the morning because he could become dehydrated. If he keeps the water down then continue to fast him for the 12 to 24 hours, at the end of it offer him a tablespoon of the chicken and rice, wait an hour then offer him a tablespoon more, keep doing that for a few hours then up the amount to 1/4 of a cup again waiting an hour to make sure he keeps it down. If at any point he starts throwing it up it's time to get him to the vet. If he's keeping the food down work your way up to a full portion 2 to 3 times a day, and keep him on it for at least 2 full days before trying to wean him back on his regular food.

The reason for the fast is so that his stomach has a chance to settle down and heal from whatever is causing the nausea and vomiting. Again if the vomiting continues, or his symptoms get worse then get him to the vet. Some vets are open on Saturday and you might want to get him checked out rather then wait and have to pay the emergency fee if you have to take him in on a Sunday. A few months ago back when my dog have very similar symptoms to your on a Friday night, after calling to see if I couldn't get him seen on an emergency basis that night (he was throwing up water), and finding out that no vet was available, none even bothered calling back -,- , I took him to the vet that was opened on Saturday morning, luckily since they were open and it was normal office hours I skipped the emergency vet fee. Hopefully it'll be the same for you if you opt to take your dog in.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top