Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used vitamins and supplements for dogs unless they develop issues and the vet recommends something more simple than RX drugs. I was wondering if anybody gives daily vitamins to their dogs or recommend it. My dogs are all on high quality foods and only one of them seems to have somewhat soft stool a lot (he will find something and eat it and is ALWAYS hungry). I have been looking at the Drs Foster and Smith website and am getting some stuff for my ferrets as well as treats for the dogs but before I purchase my horrific order (LOL) I wanted to see if it is necessary to put all of my dogs or just the one with the sensitive system on some vitamins. I do not like to give things if not necessary. TY

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Missing Link is a great supplement...comes in a powder...I used it for a long long time because I didn't always have access to the best foods...I highly recomend it.

I also supplement with cranberry, fish oil and glucosamine
Should it be given to all my dogs? Or just the one with the sensitive stomach? What does cranberry, fish oil, and glucosamine do? I am so oblivious lol. Glucosamine is for joint health right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cranberry is good to prevent urinary problems and keep the urinary tract healthy. Fish oil is good for overall health. Glucosamine is good for joints. I give my fur kids supplements a lot. Especially our older 12yr old German Shepherd. She gets cranberry, Glucosamine/chondroiton every day.I also give her extra vitamins, B complex, all natural vita E and Cod liver oil capsules that I alternate every day so I don't overdose. She does get vit C almost every day. Some other good supplements are made by Nupro.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cranberry is good to prevent urinary problems and keep the urinary tract healthy. Fish oil is good for overall health. Glucosamine is good for joints. I give my fur kids supplements a lot. Especially our older 12yr old German Shepherd. She gets cranberry, Glucosamine/chondroiton every day.I also give her extra vitamins, B complex, all natural vita E and Cod liver oil capsules that I alternate every day so I don't overdose. She does get vit C almost every day. Some other good supplements are made by Nupro.
I give my ferrets vitamin c (recommended by my vet) everyday in fresh clean water. Guess it wouldn't hurt to give the dogs some too, as well as myself lol

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear good things about the nupro supplements.

Yep, and those are my reasons...lol

The fish oil helps with dog that might have skin alergies too. It keeps the skin from drying out...

Critter was getting UTI's aaaaalll the time until I started the cranberry. The longer coat makes infections easier.
So I should at least consider fish oil and glucosamine and cranberry? Should puppies have these?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just noticed...nupro is what we use for our ferrets. Its like duk soup. Smelly stuff but good! Didnt know they had some for dogs and even cats. Thanks you guys

·
Registered
171 Posts
When we moved here our property was infested with ticks. So our dogs got ticks. So I started giving them brewers yeast and garlic tabs every day. they haven't had any ticks for a long time now. They gradually didn't have ticks on them. Our nieghbor is fighting ticks all of the time on his dogs. My dogs don't get them now at all. I give Nupro supplements to our cats too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts