Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only the second time we played this game, the first was on holiday. Basically it used to be where if you did anything stood up, Kasper would fling himself at you and jump up at you, totally over-excited...this could be anything from stretching, standing on one leg, hugging someone etc.

So we started playing a game where I reward him whenever his paws are on the floor, no matter what I'm doing! If he jumped up, I turned and ignored him for a few seconds, then made it a little easier for him and went back to the game. He understood it perfectly, and after two sessions the only thing that will make him jump up is me sprinting across the room, but even that is rare now :)

The last clip is him doing a leave it...we've been working on it since we got him, and now he will leave them far away and if they actually hit him...I'm really proud of how well he's done, so I thought I'd share :D

Some impulse control with Kasper! - YouTube

Red

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Lovely! I REALLY need to do this for Josey too! He gets very "activiated" if people move weirdly around the house. What a great idea for how to CC this. :)
Thanks my friend! :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That's super-cool! I'm doing something similar with Bree because she's shy/growly around people who move "funny", i.e., kids, folks with walkers, but especially high-pitched/hyper kids playing chase, on swings, etc... So now we go to the local school yard when it's empty, and I play on all the swings and make loud, high-pitch noises and Bree gets treats and a chance to chase a ball if she doesn't react. It does seem to be working, so thanks for the encouraging video!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sue, it was so much fun!! :D We both really enjoyed it, which I think is why he cottoned on so quickly and did so well! It's quite a work out for the human too haha ;)

idealistinfire sounds like a good plan! Kasper used to get giddy around kids but the last place we lived at one of his daily walks was past a school playground, and we always timed it when the kids were on break! First few times he was waggy and interested at the kids through the fence, but after about a week he just completely ignored all their noises. That could be a good thing to try when Bree's more confident, if there's a path that goes past the playground? You could just take her close and reward her at first, then head back, then build it up to walking past whilst being rewarded :)

Red

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That could be a good thing to try when Bree's more confident, if there's a path that goes past the playground? You could just take her close and reward her at first, then head back, then build it up to walking past whilst being rewarded :)

Red
That's a great idea! The whole school is surrounded by the only sidewalks in the neighborhood, which makes it an ideal place to walk once she's not quite so growly. And summer is almost here, so there will be lots a chances to practice with small and large groups of children. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great opportunity to build her confidence then :) Sounds like you are doing a great job with Bree and trying to help her overcome lots of things :D

Red

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.