Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The details: we have an 8 week old puppy who has had two distemper shots, and two combination shots for parvo, etc.

We scheduled an appointment with the vet and I was told that they wanted to wait 4 weeks until his next distemper shot, and that they likely wouldn't do another combination shot for the parvo, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about this because going longer than 3 weeks between shots contridicts everything I have been told by the rescue group. And why they don't want to do his third parvo booster is beyond me!

Also, one top of that when I asked how I'm supposed to get him socialized if they aren't willing to do his shots on time / at all, they told that they recommend that we don't bring him around other pups / dogs until after his rabies shot at 16 weeks! 16 weeks!? I've never heard of such a thing. Also we live in DC, we don't have a backyard, so keeping him completely isolated isn't a real option.

I mean am I crazy or does this vet seem to be giving me bad information? I'm not feeling good about this situation at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went through a similar thing getting our dog. The conflict is that many vets want to do everything in their power to prevent parvo and other puppy diseases, and the most certain way to do this is to quarantine the dog until 16 weeks. But there are more and more professionals recognizing that a lack of socialization is a bigger threat than these, so long as the socialization is done responsibly. In the end I decided to go against what my vet told me and put our dog in puppy class at 9 weeks, after making sure with the trainer that all the other dogs were up to date on their shots and that the class was indoors with a cleanable floor. But it was stressful. I would research, call around, and try to figure out what you're comfortable with. Personally, I would not walk a partially vaccinated puppy in public places frequented by numerous other unknown dogs

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I agree that the vaccination scheduling seems iffy. 8 weeks is awfully young to have already had 2 sets of shots. And not wanting to give another parvo booster does sound off....The whole reason for giving several boosters is because young puppies still have antibodies from the mom that will attack the dormant/non-virulent strain of the virus from the vaccine, rendering it useless. Those don't wear off and leave the puppy's body until it's a 3-4 months old. The last shots are at 16 weeks because at that point, the antibodies are known to have left so the vaccines can take full effect.

Is it possible you misunderstood what the vet was saying? If you like that vet otherwise, it might be a good idea to call and clarify and express your concerns with what you were told. Or if you're feeling very uneasy, go ahead and find a new vet.

Do take your puppy out for socialization, just be wise about it. Make sure other dogs it's around are vaccinated. Avoid the dog park or public places where strange dogs go to the bathroom. Keep the puppy on pavement, asphalt or other hard surfaces as opposed to grass, as it's harder for parvo and other viruses to survive on it. Put puppy in carts or hold the puppy.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Our dog was told a very similar shot schedule, but we didn't wait to socialize him at all! We took him to a puppy kndergarten in our area, and I wish I could say he learned how to play. :eyeroll: ;) But he got socialized anyway, around other healthy dogs in a safe enviroment. Another thing my vet told me is that he sees hardly any cases of dogs coming in sick because they played with another sick dog, and he sees a LOT of cases of dogs having issues because they weren't socialized before 14 weeks. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
WOW! Eight weeks old and two rounds of shots already? Waaay too young as usually because of maternal antibodies providing protection.
I personally believe in minimal vaccinations and follow Dr Jean Dodds protocol for vaccinations.....Google it! She is a very famous and knowledgeable on the subject!
'Safe Socialization' for puppies is also very important and here are a few suggestions that I hope will help! Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I took Ollie in yesterday for his 2nd vaccine,he'd had ist at 6weeks ,now 10 weeks.I was surprised when she said that was all he needed.She had given him a combination dose and kennel cough and said he didn't need a booster for 1 year.We don't have rabies but in the past it's always been three vaccines.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
I took Ollie in yesterday for his 2nd vaccine,he'd had ist at 6weeks ,now 10 weeks.I was surprised when she said that was all he needed.She had given him a combination dose and kennel cough and said he didn't need a booster for 1 year.We don't have ra bies but in the past it's always been three vaccines.
Jessie had vanguard 5 (blue sticker) then same again but with kennel cough then few weeks later kennel cough.

sounds like same happen to both of us dog? Seemed bit odd but never been questioned. If get pink sticker its 3 yearly. Depends on vet though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.