Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I know advice on here is not to be used instead of taking my dog to an actual vet. I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion that I can take to the vet currently treating my dog as he's pretty baffled at this point. So if anyone has a dog, or knows a dog, that was unable to pee PLEASE let me know what caused it. (Other then a UTI unless there's some strange hard to diagnose one that maybe 3 vets have missed so far)
So my dog can't urinate without cathedar. He's been to three vets and in total has spent almost 3 wks there. The 1st vet was the emergency vet who left me sitting out the front from midnight until 6:15 in the morn (pretty sure he forgot about us) ruled out UTI, drained his bladder and since normal vets were opening in a couple of hours referred me to the normal day time vets. That vet said he has Urate Bladder Stones after finding crystals and small stones. She did surgery and didn't find anything bigger then "small". After him being there for almost a wk she OK'd him to come home with the instructions of feeding him Hills or Royal Canine urinary care food as well as if he seems to be in pain in the next 24hrs take him to emergency vets otherwise bring him back in 5 days with a urine sample. The next day was a public holiday & no 1 was going to be there which I'm almost certain was the only reason he was allowed to come home. It definitely was not because he was better! As soon as I got Diesl here he hopped out of the car, tried to pee and nothing came out, in other words exactly the same as before the $3500 surgery. It was almost 6 at night so I had to wait till the next morning & took him straight down the coast to another vet that's treated him before. The notes from the previous vet said he still had quiet a bit of sediment and crystals however they got the cathedar in easily which apparently suggests he doesn't have anything blocking his urethra? They gave him stuff to relax any potential contractions of detrusor (not sure if that's how it's spelt) and he's had ultra sounds, X-ray's, bloods. The vet is still baffled. Any ideas? Oh and they ruled out UTI. The urate thing well he isn't a Dalmatian and is 10yrs old. His diet is probably a bit on the high protein side (LifeWise Biscuits and meat) which would explain the uric acid I guess. He has been there for over a wk and as far as I can tell hoping he's going to pee without the cathedar seems to be what they are trying and don't really know what to do as they don't know why he still isn't urinating. I just want him better!!! I luv his doggy guts and miss him like crazy!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a dreadful worry. My rescue had sturvite bladder stones, luckily after his operation he hasn't looked back. My vet did make sure she pushed all the stones back into his bladder out of his urinary tract into his bladder before operating. Now his dry food is os dietary which I mix with home made low protein meat/chicken livers and lots if vegetables, moisture and salt to encourage plenty of water drinking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I looked up the Life wise dog food and found it to have some pretty good ingredients. I also try for 2-4 lines of meat before anything else in a dry dog food. The following ingredients seemed easily digestible too. A similar food to Stella and Chewys but less ingredients.

I would try a raw based diet. I’ve down tons of research on B.A.R.F. (Biogically appropriate raw food) and have seen a huge benefit to qualitity of life, energy levels, skin and coat, and teeth in both dogs and cats. It is also less stool to pick up as well since there aren’t fillers in many.

As far as relations a raw diet to urinary issues-

The high amount of moisture will help keep your dog hydrated. Raw is also easier to digest as well so it will not be as hard on the organs compared to a processed kibble. Raw digests faster than kibble as well. Raw is the freshest is least processed food you can give your dog.

Bone broths are amazing too! Highly recommend checking into some frozen bone broths (less preservatives than canned or boxed). Primal makes an awesome bone broth! I use theirs 2x a week and top it on my dogs raw.

Definitely Check out your local pet store for their freezer section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off, I know advice on here is not to be used instead of taking my dog to an actual vet. I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion that I can take to the vet currently treating my dog as he's pretty baffled at this point. So if anyone has a dog, or knows a dog, that was unable to pee PLEASE let me know what caused it. (Other then a UTI unless there's some strange hard to diagnose one that maybe 3 vets have missed so far)
So my dog can't urinate without cathedar. He's been to three vets and in total has spent almost 3 wks there. The 1st vet was the emergency vet who left me sitting out the front from midnight until 6:15 in the morn (pretty sure he forgot about us) ruled out UTI, drained his bladder and since normal vets were opening in a couple of hours referred me to the normal day time vets. That vet said he has Urate Bladder Stones after finding crystals and small stones. She did surgery and didn't find anything bigger then "small". After him being there for almost a wk she OK'd him to come home with the instructions of feeding him Hills or Royal Canine urinary care food as well as if he seems to be in pain in the next 24hrs take him to emergency vets otherwise bring him back in 5 days with a urine sample. The next day was a public holiday & no 1 was going to be there which I'm almost certain was the only reason he was allowed to come home. It definitely was not because he was better! As soon as I got Diesl here he hopped out of the car, tried to pee and nothing came out, in other words exactly the same as before the $3500 surgery. It was almost 6 at night so I had to wait till the next morning & took him straight down the coast to another vet that's treated him before. The notes from the previous vet said he still had quiet a bit of sediment and crystals however they got the cathedar in easily which apparently suggests he doesn't have anything blocking his urethra? They gave him stuff to relax any potential contractions of detrusor (not sure if that's how it's spelt) and he's had ultra sounds, X-ray's, bloods. The vet is still baffled. Any ideas? Oh and they ruled out UTI. The urate thing well he isn't a Dalmatian and is 10yrs old. His diet is probably a bit on the high protein side (LifeWise Biscuits and meat) which would explain the uric acid I guess. He has been there for over a wk and as far as I can tell hoping he's going to pee without the cathedar seems to be what they are trying and don't really know what to do as they don't know why he still isn't urinating. I just want him better!!! I luv his doggy guts and miss him like crazy!!!!
Hi,
I read your post till the end. Can you shift to homemade food for about 10 days at least? I am sure your dog will recover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for your question, it really is very genuine. dogs have urination problems when the kidney or bladder does not work properly. The kidney acts as a filter to purify our blood by excreting the impurities through urine. Kibbles contain high-quality protein which in turn produces higher molecular weight metabolites. Diet change helps when the kidney is not being able to filter these metabolites. homemade food produces lower molecular weight metabolites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a dreadful worry. My rescue had sturvite bladder stones, luckily after his operation he hasn't looked back. My vet did make sure she pushed all the stones back into his bladder out of his urinary tract into his bladder before operating. Now his dry food is os dietary which I mix with home made low protein meat/chicken livers and lots if vegetables, moisture and salt to encourage plenty of water drinking.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have any of these vets considered nerve damage? Has he had bladder kidney issues before?
please keep us posted. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts