Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how often you guys take your dogs to the vet for just a normal health exam? I know of people that take there dogs in every 6 months to a year but I also know of people who have not gone for 5 years! I have been taking our dog once a year for a check up, is this necessary? Thanks in advance for your advice :)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I think that most owners should take their dogs in for an annual exam, even if they appear healthy to them. A vet will check out a lot in the brief period he is standing up there with his hands on the dog (a lot more than what it looks like). Being proactive with vet care and catching conditions early on can save an owner a lot of money, often extend the animal's life, and improve its quality of life.

Some very experienced owners can get away with fewer exams, but even then an annual exam doesn't hurt a thing. These owners still have to be proactive with (and very knowledgable about) health and preventative care and have a good working relationship with their vets.

As far as our household goes, our adult dogs are at the clinic at least once a year for various reasons, so we don't usually go in for just a routine "annual exams." Our cat didn't see the vet even close to annually, except for the rare issue that popped up, until he turned 16. From then until we had to put him to sleep at 17 1/2 years old, he had regular visits for his hyperthyroidism, tumor, and heart issue. Our horses are usually seen about once a year for their teeth floats/whatever else needs addressed.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I take my dog once a year for annual exams and yearly boosters. Lately I've been going more often for various health problems related to old age, he's 17 now.

Like Crock, I recommend owners go at least once a year for a check-up. I've seen more then one dog die from diseases that could have been prevented if the owners had taken the dog to the vet annually and did basic preventative care like heartworm pills and vaccines.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Niko goes once a year for KC, Lyme, and HW/Lyme test (high risk area) and "check up".
He goes every 3 years for DHA2PPC and Rabies (not all in one go).

He also goes if I find anything to be concerned about, last year I took him a couple times for limping. At first we thought it was a pulled muscle and then he was diagnosed with very mild arthritis in his left leg (where he had surgery when younger).

The category this is in is very amusing... :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My plan was/is to get them to the vet for an exam once a year (and do rabies and DHA2PPC every 3 years, nothing else in between) but they haven't been in about 2 years. I will be taking Sophia because she's been acting different, I can't afford to take both. I've been unemployed for almost 2 years and I'd rather be able to feed them and have money in case of an emergency then spend that much for an exam.
But the first thing I'm doing when I get a job is getting them BOTH to the vet for that. And then once a year after that.

The category this is in is very amusing... :D
i was going to say that too... :)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
LOL, I hadn't even noticed!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Four of my dogs go twice a year. Gunny goes every three months to check on her health issues. I think it's important to get an overall health exam at least once a year.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My older dog Tippy never went his whole life until this fall (he's almost 14). Remy didn't go for her first 2 years, but now that I work outdoors I get all her shots just to be careful. We're spending 12-14+ hours outside a day and we sleep in a tent. I won't take any chances in the bush and go about 2x a year with her. Once before starting work in the spring and once after we're done, usually in September.

Leo... not sure yet. Also not sure if he will be coming out working with me in the spring.

I would go with every year IF you have a good vet. I have been to some awful ones who don't even feel her or look in her ears!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
My older two go in every three years for rabies and DHLPPC. Otherwise, they only go in if there's an issue. I'm very hands on with my dogs and very regularly check their teeth, ears and feet, and if there's something wonky about their breathing, gait, or behavior, I notice.

My young guy is currently in every year for his DHLPPC and Bordatella because my agility class requires up to date shots.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
We normally go every year where they also do a fecal test...just because I feel better. I am also very hands on with their ears, nails, teeth, feet, eyes...regulary check their skin, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
We do yearly check ups, even though we rarely make it a month without taking one of them in. I always do a small blood panel, and heartworm/tick illness test.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the advice. I think I will continue to take him in every year. He is still really young and healthy but I think its still worth it. (lol sorry for the catagory i put this question in... still trying to figure this website out)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
He is very cute. What kind of pup is he?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks crock, yours is beautiful as well! We thought Buddy was a Bichon Frise or some sort of poodle mix so we got him DNA tested and it turns out he is a shih tzu/poodle cross. Would of never guessed it :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Yearly. They get heartworm tested, stool sample done, physical exam. I take them once a month to get weighted, though. And every three years they'll get the rabies and DPPH (not same day; I'll stagger two weeks apart).

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I take them once a month to get weighted, though.
Why don't you get a human digital scale and weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding them? Or just weight them on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Nola and Phoenix are too light to register on human scales. I like bringing them in for positive experience; they go the the vet sometimes and get treats and attention instead of shots or probing. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Nylanat

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Once a year for their annual check-ups. Visits as necessary if any issues come up (Luna eating anything she is not suppose to, Weezie had her teeth cleaned this year).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where do those of you that do the 3 year rabies vaccination live? In TN it's required by law and in my particular county, it's required annually by law. It's probably a stupid question but i've never given much thought to other state's laws.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Panama City, FL. It's yearly in done cities, 3 year in others.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 21 Posts