Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9-year-old male Shih-Poo who is dragging his bum on the floor.

I took him to the vet and they did a blood test and a poop test among other things. They found nothing wrong with him. My dog is kept up to date with all his shots.

They did give me Prednisone but this doesn’t help. Does anyone have any idea what else I can do? I feel lost.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I can only tell you, that with our dog, dragging her butt is usually because one or both or her anal glands are impacted and need to be 'expressed' by our Vet. Once that is done, it usually resolves within a day or two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only tell you, that with our dog, dragging her butt is usually because one or both or her anal glands are impacted and need to be 'expressed' by our Vet. Once that is done, it usually resolves within a day or two.
Thanks for the good advice. That was the first thing we had done, very little came out. Unfortunately it did nothing to solve the problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It could be that the dog's anus is just dirty and itchy. My poodle did this once when a bit of poop that I didn't notice got stuck in his fur. A spaniel of my parents also did this when she had poop in her fur. In both cases bathing was the solution.

Naturally, there could be more going on, like a parasite, worms or whatever. Your vet should be able to test for this (or send away a feces sample to be tested).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be that the dog's anus is just dirty and itchy. My poodle did this once when a bit of poop that I didn't notice got stuck in his fur. A spaniel of my parents also did this when she had poop in her fur. In both cases bathing was the solution.

Naturally, there could be more going on, like a parasite, worms or whatever. Your vet should be able to test for this (or send away a feces sample to be tested).
That’s the problem, the vet did do theses test. I think the only thing left is to try and see if it’s an allergy of some kind. I start by giving him only his store-bought food. If it stops, I will gradually give him his treats and other stuff until I find something that might make him itch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts